Score and parts to one pdf file

As I run my own business and need to send off large amount of receipts and invoices to my accountant at the end of each financial year I’ve found the following program to really helpful in combining multiple PDFs on PC.

Possibly not the solution you’re looking (especially if you’re on a Mac) for but It’s at least an alternative until Dorico can do what you request. :slight_smile:

These posts show the lack of a built in pdf solution for Windows users.
For Mac users this is a non-topic, as working with pdf files on macOS is a breeze, it happens on system level. The built in TextEdit - but also the productive applications like Numbers, Keynote and Pages provide direkt pdf export, each print dialogue offers lots of pdf possibilities and even the simple Preview application is a professional pdf tool.

There are a million third party tools out there, but none that I have found are particularly good, IMHO. There ought to be a tool that can allow me to drag and drop pages from multiple PDF files at liberty to splice and dice documents. Many programs claim this, but they all strike me as being about 1980s level of user-friendliness.

Some of the web-based ones are actually better than the desktop ones, but I really don’t want to give my property to “free” sites on the web.

The best program I have found is “PDFSan Visual”. It gets the job done, but still feels surprisingly clunky for 2018.

Nuance’s Power PDF Advanced has worked well for me over the years once I figured out its interface.
I see no reason for Steinberg to try to build its own PDF program into Dorico.

here are useful pdf tools
PDF-MusicBinder
PDF-BatchStitch
PDF-BatchScale
PDF-BatchBooklet

as described in Pilip Rothman’s blog:

I use Adobe Acrobat Pro. Works like a dream. Not cheap but worth it to me.

This. I’m actually still running Acrobat Pro X. It looks horrible on a 4K screen but continues to do everything I need.

Looks like $450 if I am looking at the right thing.

https://www.amazon.com/Adobe-Acrobat-2017-Windows-Download/dp/B071FMXF95

I have always felt Adobe’s pricing is off (for all their products) by an order of magnitude.

Yeah it’s expensive. I got the organizational price through my employer. But wow, that’s a lot of dollars.

Nuance PDF is c. $180

The best alternative on Windows is probably Foxit’s PhantomPDF, which costs $129.

Can you still get Acrobat off-subscription? It’s is pricey, but it does all sorts of things that most people won’t need.

There should be any number of cheap utilities for Windows, as manipulating PDFs is trivial in software. (If you install python, there’s a library called PyPDF2 that lets you write your own scripts to combine, merge, make booklets or otherwise mess about with PDFs. I’ve written some scripts using this library, which I’d be happy to give to anyone who wants them.)

I would like to reiterate the apps mentioned by k_b. I created them at Philip Rothman’s request and he uses them on a regular basis in his music preparation and printing. They were designed with a straightforward interface to make batch processing many files as easy as possible.

He has graciously made them available for free on his website. It’s worth a try to see if they do what you want before spending a lot of money on something that does more than you need.

Here’s the link:

And since I’m the creator, of there’s some functionality missing you’d find useful, PM me about it! It just might end up in a future version!

I always combine them using Preview. Matter of minutes to put all the parts and main score into a single file.

May be I should not says this, but to me it seems that Windows has its focus more on being a business model than an operation system; so users are used to paying for extra tools…

I think that is generally true. Windows is more of a self-help model, but the computer hardware (PC and monitors) costs way less than half the price of what Apple charges for the same thing. And with phones and pads, the price delta is more like 4:1 for the same function. It is a trade-off.

As far as Macs are concerned, the hardware is broadly similarly priced for the spec. Yes, there are £299 Windows laptops, but they’re not the same spec as a MacBook Pro. Usually there’s a couple of hundred in it, which you could put down to the software included or unique hardware elements.

You can pay $2,600 for the top of the line Surface Pro. Is that a “Microsoft Tax”, or a reasonable price for the top-spec hardware?

Apple certainly stiffs you on the BTO options, but then so does Dell and other suppliers.

However, the last thing this forum needs is a “Mac vs PC” debate… :laughing:

Just to add my two cents: no, the price is not totally equivalent. Similar, but not the same.

Yes, good hardware will always cost money! My primary machine is a Dell Precision laptop. It was expensive, yes, but cheaper than a comparable-spec Macbook.

That being said, I’m not anti-Mac. Whatever floats your boat. I used a Macbook the other day (a rare occurrence) and it was quite a nice experience. And I have zero interest in the whole Mac-PC debate. (Though apparently enough interest to weigh in! :laughing:)

For tablets, I was thinking more of Android. The total package is not directly comparable to any Apple pads, but the Android pads are priced more like a disposable commodity. That isn’t particularly relevant to a discussion of Dorico today because there is no Android version for Dorico, and Dorico isn’t really a pad-oriented application, nor should it be.

For several years, some makers of digital mixing consoles offered wireless network control only through iPads. Those who offered Android as an option created a huge competitive advantage. I was able to get a great Android pad for $150 that had exactly the combination of battery life and screen size I wanted. I think a comparable product from Apple (if it existed at all) would be more like $1000.

I think that $2600 Surface product is the “Surface Studio”. That’s very much a niche product and I have no idea how well it might be selling. That targets graphic artists, which has been a strong segment for Apple. Maybe Microsoft is trying to see if they can get onto the Apple pricing curve one niche at a time.

Anyway, none of this has much to do with handling PDF output from Dorico. It seems to me somebody ought to make a very easy to use PDF split/merge program that is simple drag and drop – and they ought to sell that for under $50. PDFSam Visual is the closest thing to that ideal I have found, but its user interface really isn’t as slick as I expect a program to be in 2018.

Post #32, the apps tisimst created and offers graciously seem perfect to me. Nicely described in a Scoring notes article, free… Even for mac users!

I have tried to do just that, but haven’t had any success. Exactly how do you achieve this? I use FoxitPDF on Windows. It creates separate files…

That seems really useful, thanks!

To add to the discussion: Programs I have tried and found useful (Windows) are PDFsam (the old version is still free) for combining and editing, and jPDFtweak for adding page numbers. Lately I have mainly used the desktop version of PDF24. Very useful. For combining and rearranging PDFs it is the best I found so far. You can even add blank pages ad lib within the program if necessary. It also adds page numbers, but only centered. jPDFtweak has more possibilities but is (at least for me) more difficult to use.