Score Editor Challenge: Can you Resize These Notes Faster ( HCI )

Hi,

I have a very simple question. I was wondering how I could change the measure A so that it looks like B in Score editor. I have a Mac Keypad for quantize levels ( length is linked) and triple pedal ( left Cmd+Z, middle ‘left’, right pedal set to ‘right arrow’ on keyboard.

I go from last note in the measure and go backwards:

1. To resize the third beat of A, I select the note, press Cmd and click one of the note value buttons. is there a faster way, without going to note value buttons, say using a shortcut? ( 2 mouse buttons and 1 keyboard button press)
  2. to Resize the second beat of A, I do just like part 1.( 2 mouse buttons and 1 keyboard button press)
  3. Drag the 8th note to the right to have space for resizing the first beat.( 1 mouse click)
  4. Select the first note of A, holding Cmd and pressing Dot and quarter note buttons.( 3 mouse clicks + 1 keyboard button press)

As you can see just changing three note lengths requires: 7 mouse clicks and 3 keyboard button presses! This is too much!
I really appreciate it if someone could tell/show me if there is an easier way to do this with/out taking into account my input devices.

I guess erasing the bar and rewriting is a better choice. or going to Key Editor and fix it using legato shortcut key and come back to score editor.

Any help would be appreciated.

CS
Screen Shot 2019-02-18 at 1.01.56 PM.png

Hi,

You can use the same Key Commands you use in the Key Editor:

• Shift + Alt + arrow left/right: Change the Note length from the right side (based on the Grid)
  • Alt + arrow left/right: Change the Note length from the left side (this one doesn’t work in the Score Editor)
  • Ctrl/Cmd + arrow left/right: Move the Note left/right

Using key commands:
1 mouse click (optional)
multiple keyboard button presses

4 seconds in total
Take a look on the GIF

There is everything you need in KC: adjusting notes length, moving etc.

Edit: Martin beat me to it :wink:
Score_editing_KC.gif

Great job guys! Thank you.

Assuming we had Step/MIDI input disabled ( that was one click for me!) and quantize is set to 1/8

1. Click on third beat, Shift + Alt + arrow right twice to get it to half note. ( 1 mouse click + 2 key presses)
  2. left arrow to select second beat, Shift + Alt + arrow right once to get it to half note. (2 key presses)
  3. Cmd+ right Arrow to move the 8th note ( 1 key press)
  4. left arrow pressed to select the first note followed by shift+Alt+ right arrow to get the length 2 dotted 1/4 note. ( 2 key presses)

New world record by Martin: 1 mouse clicks + 7 key presses. I am ignoring here two hand multiple simultaneous
key strokes as one has to move arm/hand/finger to reach the keys!

Less mouse clicks. I like it much better. still I think this is too much! Can we do better?

Do you think Steinberg studies HCI/UX of their product? Keystroke-level model - Wikipedia

TheMaestro: how did you created the gif?

Marginally. 6 keystrokes if quantize is set to 1/8.
score1.gif
5 keystrokes if Clean Lengths and No Overlap are checked in Score Settings.
score2.gif
How: I use keycommands that marry insert lengths with logical editor processes that set the length of the selected note to the corresponding insert length. So that insert length also modifies selected notes.

Awesome! Thank you.

I wish there was a visual cue for score not matching midi notes, specifically for note overlaps and/or event marginally crossing a bar-line ( with a threshold set by user).

There is, actually. Sometimes there will be a tie from one note, that does not join another.

I guess you mean in the score editor there is no indication of bar crossing but if we look at the same note in Key editor, we see the note is crossing the bar line?

If there was a key command to force “duration replacement of notes”, one could do that in the shortest ( theoretical and practical) way, with three clicks (while holding just the KC).

To clarify “note/dureation replacement of notes”, let’s look at a toy example:

Source> : dottedQT, 8thT, QT, qRest ----> > Target> : QT, QT, HT, where QT := Quartertone

inserting ( duration replacement): say with kc =cmd+alt or something else)

Step 1: Select first note of the source: > dottedQT, > 8thT, QT, qRest; and Holding Kc and clicking on quarter note on the extended toolbar:

QT, QT, QT, qRest

Step 2: Now select the third note QT, and hold KC, and press on Half note, we get the spruce:

Just a thought!

Wouldn’t that take an awful lot to set up though? It would be the same as re-writing.

The fastest way I’ve personally found to enter notes is a sibeliuslike setup I’ve started and I’m expanding upon:

-Separate key command preset for scoring.
-Selecting Insert notes (1/1, 1/2, 1/4 etc) also modifies the current selection. (Whole note chord selected, I press 3 on the numpad [1/8], becomes 1/8)
-Add diatonic interval above/below with number keys (where tool selection normally is) and shift-number for below. This is huge for me, I was missing it very much. I enter a G below the staff, then press 5, 6, 6, and just like that I have a G major chord in an expanded position, like the first position of a violin! The only problem is you have to make a chord track and enter a chord. (for example if key signature is 3 sharps, I drop an A chord at the beginning) I wish I could find a way to automatically input the chord when entering a key signature, or automatically input a key signature when entering a chord.
-Toggle dot. I select a note value, press the key command and the dot is added. I press again, the dot is removed.

It would be even faster if I could have diatonic nudging with the keyboard, but I guess it’s a mouse only feature. :frowning:

All of this thanks to Martin that gave me very useful tips!

This can be done if a new tool ( replacement tool) is introduced into cubase with/without key modifiers

we were doing that. My keyboard note selections are similar to yours! I use 0 for whole tone, 1 for half-tone, 2 for quarter tone ( more logarithm to the base 2 approach).
You are using computer keyboard. I have played piano for years and using either step recording ( for fast passages & chords) or midi input is more efficient for me. For note entry, we always need to use key editor at some time for detailing jobs. Thank you for your comments.