Score Editor: Dynamics Settings for Multiple Staves

I have been trying to find a way to apply dynamics settings to staves I have split in the Score Editor.

For example, I have a Piano VST and dynamics mapping works great there for the most part, however, when I try to apply an f to the Treble Staff, and a pp to the Bass Clef, it just changes the volume for entire track based on whichever one is read most recently.

I know that I can just highlight the bass notes in the key editor and lower their dynamics by dragging from the velocity controller there, but I’d like to manage these elements purely within the score, if possible.

Thanks

I’m afraid the only thing I can suggest is to use the Score function “Explode” (choosing the option “New Tracks”), then you’ll have left and right hand on separate tracks/staves, from which you can then insert dynamics independently.

Yeah, I was hoping I would be able to manage everything pertaining to each instrument within one track, so I could compose the music easier and control the notation directly from a single scoring page (and keeping everything to one uses up less resources for me as well).

Unfortunate if we can’t do that, but thanks for the info regardless though.

Well, you can still do all that from a single Score page… just select the two tracks together before opening the Score Editor. You can use the Layout settings to create the familiar piano brackets (accolades).

Ah interesting, didn’t realize you could control multiple tracks within the score in such a way.

While I still would had liked to manage everything from just one track so I wouldn’t need multiple piano instances, the dynamics do work as I had hoped within the score editor this way, and is much better than the position I was in before, thanks.

That’s how we do big orchestral scores :wink: (at least, in Cubase Pro).

While I still would had liked to manage everything from just one track so I wouldn’t need multiple piano instances, the dynamics do work as I had hoped within the score editor this way, and is much better than the position I was in before, thanks.

The second track could still be routed to the original instrument (from the Project window).

How do you create the piano brackets (accolades)? I am in the layout but cannot find it.
Thank you.

(Sorry… I don’t visit this page very often :blush: :wink: )…
Presuming you are indeed on Cubase Pro, then Score Settings>Layout. You’ll see, in the center section of the Layout window, the list of staves currently used, and, at the extreme left of the column headers, two “brackets”… one being the piano accolade, the other being a “straight” bracket. Just click on the one you want. (and if your current layout has multiple staves, you can drag the newly-appeared bracket, to encompass the desired number of staves.)