Screengrab and that cool mpg? software you guys use ...

Caveat - I’ve only got XP SP2 (yes, it supports Cubase 6, at least so far!).

If I wanted to make and store a screen shot, is there special software. Some of you guys are showing awesome looking screen shots, even motion piccies - how do you do that!

Thanks!

animated .gif can be created by this free software:
LICEcap.
LICEcap can capture an area of your desktop and save it directly to .GIF (for viewing in web browsers, etc) or .LCF
Google it, I don’t want to post the link because of competitive companies etc…

Pictures can be included in the body of the forum post as long as they are under a certain size, can’t remember but it says when you try to add it.

In case you didn’t know, you can get a screen grab using just standard Windows tools: the “print-screen”/“Prs Sc” key on the PC keyboard puts an image of the whole screen on the “clipboard”, ready to be pasted wherever you want. And Alt + Prt Sc creates an image of the currently active application. If you paste into MS Word (and other s/w), you can crop/size the image in the document; alternatively - and better if you want only a small part of a large image - you can use Windows utilities to crop the image before pasting elsewhere. Of course, to keep the image small from the outset, you can also sometimes size the application window to show little more than the area you want, before using Alt + Prt Scr.

Very cool, guys, thanks!