Sebastian font v1 release

You wait 5 years for a SMuFL font, and then 3 come all at once. Tsk.

After some feedback and greater scrutiny, I’m pleased to announce that Sebastian v1.0 is ready for release, with over 1000 glyphs!

There are some considerable improvements on the beta version: notably braces, time sig numerals, figured bass, and accidentals.

It’s pretty “Dorico-complete”, so there are no missing glyphs in the panels, etc. However, not all noteheads are supported, and possibly some Engraving Options might reveal a few holes.

I hope you like it. For me, it’s been an opportunity to learn about making fonts for Dorico, with the end result of having a font that I can adjust to my complete satisfaction.

I’ll post some samples in a bit; or if anyone has a piece they’d like to see in it, I’ll happily do that.

12 Likes

Thank you so much for all your hard work and generosity.

Unless I’m doing something wrong, it looks like some of the “traditional” multimeasure rests are not displaying properly. See the 4, 5, 7 & 9 below.

1 Like

It would seem that the symbol for four bars is missing (or hidden?) in each case.

David

Ooh. Good catch. Yes, sorry. I’ve added those symbols now. Try downloading it again.
You’ll need to restart Dorico.

Thanks - that fixed it.

Thank you for this beautiful font. However is it me, but the arpeggio signs are not displayed. I restarted Dorico and even Windows 10. Let me know if you have a lead to solve this. Thanks.Sebastian.pdf (51.6 KB) Bravura.pdf (52.9 KB)

Hmm. weird. I remember testing the Up and Down arpeggio, and they seem to work here. Perhaps we can get some other people to test whether it works for them.

Screenshot

For the time-being, you should be able to use the Music Symbols editor to swap in missing glyphs from Bravura.

Does not work here. On a Mac, shows nothing.

Jesper

A test I have just done on Win 10 shows that, if I insert arpeggii in Bravura font, and then change to Sebastian, they disappear.

David

Same here. Arpeggios up and down are not displayed (Windows 10). The corresponding notes move to the right, but the arpeggio line doesn’t show.

Sorry about that. I’ll have to see what glyph is being used there and whether it’s missing.

Ah: the glyph was in the font, but it needed some extra metadata in the JSON file. Try this.

Sebastian.json.zip (13.5 KB)

I’ve updated the release file on github, too.

4 Likes

Thank you very much benwiggy. With this new JSON file the arpeggio signs are present both in the Bravura > Sebastian passage and in the files created with your Sebastian font. Your reactivity is exemplary.

Perfect! Thank you, benwiggy.

That fixed it, thanks Ben.

Jesper

Sorry for being OT: What font(s) are you using for the text elements in this example? Looks beautiful.

Looks like one of the Modern Didone fonts: Monotype Modern, Old Standard, Modern No. 2, Hercules, etc, etc.

I’ve updated the font as v1.01 with a few little tweaks and corrections. Unless there’s something glaringly obviously wrong, I don’t have much more to add.

A spacing issue with accidentals on breves has been fixed.
The 6 and 9 time sigs are nicer.
The bracket wings don’t touch any clefs.
Metronome mark/equation symbols are now complete and awesome.
More noteheads, with correct stem positions.

I’m afraid I found a small bug:

Enter an A (doesn’t matter which octave), press the keys (alt + on a PC) that change the note to the upper enharmonic (in this case B double-flat). The result is B triple-flat…

This is reproducible for any note whose upper enharmonic would result in a double flat.

Yes, this was spotted a day or two ago: the 1.03 version corrects it.

I would recommend that anyone using Sebastian updates to this latest version, as there have been a variety of refinements, additions and fixes – even since v1.01…!!

While we’re at it, here’s an article I wrote for Scoring Notes about the process of making the font SMuFL-compliant.

4 Likes