Segno (sign symbol) is microscopically small

Perfect! Thank you! Saved my *ss!

Feature request: Our team will be preparing a critical edition that will not only be in print format, but also in digital. Is it possible for the Dorico team to create the option for a custom Segno symbol??

We are specifically interested in what we think is called the ā€œSegno Serpentoā€

Screen Shot 2022-01-31 at 6.18.13 PM
Screen Shot 2022-01-31 at 6.18.20 PM

I can of course create some kind of custom character and smash it onto the scores, but for digital playback (and all kinds of reasons) it would be really cool if it would be possible for that symbol to actually mean something to the engraving program (and music xml/mei) for playback and analysis purposes.

Whaddya think??

Why not use a regular segno, create a custom glyph, and hide the regular segno for the purpose of playback?

Dan ā€¦ because having the option to make custom repeat symbols/segno would be more elegant. For the purposes of music xml and working with interchange language, there may be an advantage to having this kind of customization become part of the system, combining visual and machine elements, rather than having an essential visual element that is added as the kind of layer that will almost surely be dropped the second you put it into music xml.

To me itā€™s the difference between having the ability to make custom key signatures (dorico) and hack visual key signatures (sibelius 7.5 and earlier). I had to create figure scores for a book about klezmer music where we wanted to use the correct/customary modal key signatures. Having to do it in Sibelius with a visual key signature that didnā€™t actually make the notes sound they way they should introduced a massive opportunity for errors to creep in because the notations couldnā€™t be checked via sound.

1 Like

Iā€™m pretty sure this has already been requestedā€¦ Like four years ago or more. I suppose itā€™s still not at the top of the priorities listā€¦

Any news about this Daniel? The Segno does still look so smaller in D5.1.

No, there havenā€™t been any developments in this area since this was last discussed.

I think I have set the size to 180% in Engraving options>Repeat markers and saved as default, for quite some time now. And I am ok with the result :wink:

3 Likes

How I missed this? :joy: Yeah! the right solution. Merci bcp qd mm!

1 Like

Yes! Thats it, I searched in Library-Music Symbols, but to no avail!
thanks, for me 150% is ok :smiley:

1 Like