Select Empty Range / range between events

My project has a lot of empty spaces, i.e. vertical ranges with no events below them so I am using delete time (shift+Backspace) to remove them, however I can’t find an easy way to select the ‘exact’ range like you can using an actual event =select event then Ctrl+P sets the locators to then use shift+backspace.

Does any creative person have any tricks on how to select an exact range ‘between events’ please?

The Audio > Advanced >Detect Silence command should be helpful, as it allows you to use different detection thresholds. From the experience I have using it, it works quite well, if you are willing to play with the different Detection settings available in the window : it’s not easy to grasp, at first, when not used to it…

1 Like

Doesn’t that only work on actual audio data? KenD wrote that there are no events at all.

1 Like

Yep, it does and I am guessing that the material used is audio. Reading it again, I admit that I probably have mistaken what he really wants to do, but I continue to think that what he is talking about are audio events separated by ‘a lot of empty spaces’, but maybe it’s not the case. Beside this, the sequence :

…doesn’t make a lot of sense to me, as ctrl+P opens the pool window, here, the actual Set locators to selection range shortcut being simply P and I don’t remember having changed both of them. Additionaly, an audio event has not necessarily a corresponding audio file.

So, what I understand now, and seeing that the Delete time command is evoked, is that he is actually looking for a kind of ‘Close gap’ tool that would shift all the events positions of a given track, so they would end up as being contiguous.

All this said, and maybe I’m missing something, but I don’t think that there is such a tool in Cubase, and I don’t see how a macro/PLE process could do that… :thinking:

EDIT - Will continue to look at this, but in the meantime, activating the Snap feature, and using the Snap type as ‘Events’ helps lot to move a selected event to the end of the previous one, closing exactly the empty ‘range’ between them. This can work for a whole set of events selected on the right : they all move together…

1 Like

Haven’t tested this out, but I think a macro would do it.

• Locate Selection end
  • Set Left Locator to Project Cursor Position
  • Locate Next Event
  • Set Right Locator to Project Cursor Position
  • Delete Time

You select the event (after the end of which you want to delete time), fire the macro. Select the next event, do the same.

But as I said, I haven’t test this yet.

3 Likes

By default the key commands to move the cursor to next or previous event are B and N.
If you de-select any track (select one track, then Ctrl-click the same track) you can use B and N to move through the project.
You can set the locators to the current cursor position with (default) Ctrl+NumPad1 and Ctrl+NumPad2.

That should give you precise positioning.

3 Likes

@ggmanestraki , @Johnny_Moneto

Both your solutions work, just tested them : you guys are more efficient than me… :blush:

2 Likes

First of all, I apologise for my sloppy posting of Ctrl+P which you are right that I should have stated just ‘P’ to set locators!
Secondly, THANK YOU to all 3 of you @cubic13 @Johnny_Moneto @ggmanestraki for your efforts & help in responding to my question!
This is why I love this forum, because many members are here to genuinely help which makes the platform work well because then we reciprocate when we have the ability to do so.

I knew with all the Cubase kb shortcuts that there would be a way (or 2 or 3) but the extra pairs of eyes would find it when my brain is stuck. Thanks @ggmanestraki for the macro idea which was the route I was thinking I would need, however the simple B & N is perfect & so efficient. :+1:
So simple it’s a bit embarrasing that I didn’t see it :upside_down_face:

Now I can whizz through the project so THANK YOU ALL AGAIN! :pray:

Extra notes:
I am using video also so detect silence may not have worked but thanks for the tip re the feature
I am already using ‘snap to event’ which is working great on parts of the edit, many thanks for the idea though!

2 Likes