Selected Event Indication display

I guess -can be wrong- that the people complaining about the Nuendo_Red_Outline are people who are using colors with high intensity/brightness.
When using less flashy colors, it makes much more sense to have that thin red outline.

Just my 2 cents
Fredo

Can you post a screenshot of how your events in your project window look Fredo?

I also come from years on Pro Tools and have worked a lot in post. PT is more the way Cubase does it and is of course the most used DAW in post, so I am used to the clarity of it from there as well. My only problem with the Nuendo system is only that it doesn’t work well with many specific event colors and renders selection invisible or near-invisible on those colors.

It’s possible, sure. But in a score with easily 800 and more tracks, I need to use a giant variety of colors to delineate everything, so there’s no choice but to use some with high intensity/brightness.

Making it an option satisfies everyone. No one has to change if they don’t want to, and those of us who want the clarity we get from the Cubase method can get it. In software that is so expensive, I feel that this is essential to implement.

1 Like

This is an option for sure as far as that color is concerned, but for me I can sometimes barely see it when I use other red-related colors like various oranges for example, and different brightnesses etc. That’s my only issue, otherwise it’s fine - but it’s a pretty significant issue for the huge variety of colors I need for scoring projects.

Yes, this. I don’t remember at the moment how Cubase handles it, but I never had the issue in Cubase. I now have it often in Nuendo. This should NOT be an option - we should always be able to very clearly see the file name on the object. Here is my FR for it - please support there: [FR] Make event names always visible on events. - Nuendo - Steinberg Forums

100% agree on this… an Option will satisfies everyone. Come on Steinberg, i believe this not a huge request…

An that is the problem. We could be right or wrong in that assumption…

Here’s what it looks like.

Fredo

Thanks. You weren’t using settings or colors I expected and I find the red outlines difficult to see in your screenshot. We do need the option for Cubase style selection.

My session colors and settings below in Nuendo and Cubase.

Ooh… I quite like the look of what @fredo posted there; gonna ask for an option for this in Cubase.! :smiley:

puma

Thanks, this illustrates why some of us prefer the Cubase way. In the entire upper section the selections are invisible on Nuendo. Let’s make the Cubase style an option!

How about - the red outline could be made to act dynamically (getting thicker or thinner) according to zoom level/track height…

Don’t you have this option in Cubase?

Fredo

Hi @Fredo - Yes, I have those options here in Cubase… but I was talking about your Selected Event ‘highlight’ style (red colour outline) you showed in Nuendo, that I liked…

Were you replying to my post, or did you mean to quote someone else’s comment…? :slight_smile:

puma

Hi Puma,

I was under the impression that you didn’t have that option in Cubase.

but I was talking about your Selected Event ‘highlight’ style (red colour outline) you showed in Nuendo, that I liked…
puma

Yes that is the behaviour some users are complaining about.

Fredo

You’ve lost me… those options you posted have nothing to do with the ‘style’ of highlight (red outline or solid inverted colour). Am I missing something…?

Well, obviously Post people have other “workflows” than music people.
No offense, but looking at your project makes me feel like: Find Wally in a concert crowd" to me.
Obviously you need more outspoken colors if you want to spot a tiny event within a big mass of tiny events.
In my book, that is reversing the “problem”. You need other colors, because you want to work in another way.

If we would organise our 250±tracks Post-projects like that, we wouldn’t be able to find anything.
Or, let me put it in another way, we would never “work” in a project that is zoomed out to that extend.
To me that is unworkable. And that has nothing to do with colors.

That being said, everybody has his/her own way of working, and you will probably have good reasons for working that way.
So I am not critisizing you, or defending the way Nuendo displays events for those reasons.
I have no problem with having both options available.

Fredo

That’s what I said, or wanted to say. I wrongly understood that you were talking about (would love to have those) the less bright colors.
These are configurable.
The red outline is not configurable, it is standard in Nuendo.

Fredo

Yes, we all have different ways of working, totally. To me it’s not the amount of tracks (I only occasionally zoom out that much in my sessions, but which can sometimes have way, way more than 250 tracks largely because of the way Cubendo handles instrument tracks/racks – that’s a whole other subject, ha ha), but even zoomed in on a good amount of certain colors, the red is invisible or near-invisible. With as many tracks as a typical scoring session will have, one needs to use a ton of different colors to differentiate things, so it’s impossible to avoid using some of them that will render the red outline difficult if not impossible to see.

Nuendo now fully blurs the line of post and music, which are totally intertwined in many ways for a scoring project, and that’s great. Many of the post/more advanced features are why I want to score entirely on Nuendo and not Cubase. I don’t consider this a “post” feature though, just a personal preference.

Anyway, all of this illustrates that an option is what software this expensive needs to have, so I hope they implement it in the next update!