Selecting notes in chords

I’m having trouble selecting individual notes inside chords. The behavior is somewhat unpredictable. Sometimes I will click on a note and it will select the one note, and sometimes it will select two notes in the chord. I know that you can click on the stem to select all the notes in the chord, that’s not what I am talking about. I am clicking on the note heads and it randomly will select either one or two of the notes in the chord (although it doesn’t seem to ever select more than two). Is this a known bug?

Selecting things at low zoom levels can be hard, because the click areas for things like noteheads are padded, and when they overlap, you can end up selecting two adjacent items. It’s not a bug, as such, but it’s certainly not optimal and we hope to be able to improve this in relatively short order.

Ah that makes sense. Zooming in does help a bit.

A related question to this, I’m trying to select notes in chords using just the computer keyboard. If for instance I have a triad and I have focus on the middle note, I hold shift and press up then the entire chord gets selected when I only want the two top notes. Same thing happens if I press down. Is there a way to just extend selection up by note increments? Would be great if extending selection left and right also preserved chord voice selection (selecting all top two notes in a series of triads).

Not yet, I’m afraid, but this is a good idea, and we’ll look into it in future.

1 Like