Send pan won't follow pan automation

Hi,

I’m on 10.0.50 Windows. I have a track that has linked-panning turned on. Send #2 leads is in use. I added pan automation. When I play the track, the send-pan doesn’t follow the automation. If I jump arround with Num± (when not in playback) then Send-pan would sometimes “adopt” - to be more correct, it will change Send-pan to the value of the latest pan-automation point that has terminator=yes (!) When playing, the SEND pan won’t change…

Seems like a bug (?)

Thanks,
Erez

1 Like

Hi,

I’m not with Cubase now… But this rings a bell to me somehow. There was something… Make sure the Write Automation is enabled on the linked Pan too, please. Just show the automation track of the Send Panner and make sure Automation Write is enabled.

Does it help?

Hi Martin,

What you describe is definitely related - in fact that’s how I discovered the problem. I’m usually not using write-automation as I’m more often automating manually and only rarely do I “record” the automation (the latter needs write-automation to be enabled, the former is not). I only recently started using “linked panners”, and when I happened to record a panning automation with “write automation” enabled, I noticed that cubase actually created two panning automations - one for the “main” track pan and one for Send #2 panning (send #2 happened to point to an effect track).

Seems to me this hints the implementation of this “feature” is somewhat strange or buggy - consider the following two scenarios:
(1) What if I happen to work manually without having write-automation enabled?
(2) Even if I would always have write-automation enabled, what if after I already added a pan automation I am adding a new SEND? Will Cubase automatically duplicate the pan automation I already have?

The answer for both of these questions is “no” (I checked it)

Thanks,
Erez

Need to bring up this subject again, as it messes with all my parallel busses that have pan automation on them.

Made a really rough example video.

Is there any way to fix this?

Thanks! Sebastian

Hi,

All you described works as specified in Cubase.

Well… I stopped linking between the two. Saying that this “works as specified in Cubase” means that you do not consider this specific usability and functionality problem important enough - which is, hey, fair enough. It’s not the end of the world, but for me it just doesn’t work reasonably, so I won’t use it. Too bad. If I need to control the send pan, I will explicitly control it.

Hi,

Because it works as specified, it’s not a bug. Please add Feature Request tag.

Hi!
Sorry for jumping in. The very same thing happens in Cubase 11.
Not sure but it can’t be “by design” since there is not even a hint in manual about “write” button. I used this feature in version 5 (long ago) and everything worked (even manually).

I just noticed I was asked to add a Feature Request tag. I’m not sure if it matters whether it is a “bug” in the implementation or a bug in the design/usability (the latter is IMHO the case), but anyways, I do not know how to add tags to that thread…

What the ■■■■!?

Just got that the pan is not following the automations!
No sens there!

You must fix that (even if you say that it is not a bug), it is a design issue.

Regards,
Eddy.

1 Like

I got hit by this too. Let me clarify and provide a solution.

If the channel panner is adjusted manually (no matter if playing back or not), Link panners: on will cause the send panner to follow the channel panner. But if the channel panner is reading automation data during playback, even with Link panners: on, the send panner will not follow the automated channel panner value, but stay at the value that had last been set manually. I. e., Link panners has no effect while automation data is read during playback.

That means, if you want the send panner to “follow” the channel panner automation, you must make sure that the send panner automation lane has the same data as the channel panner automation lane. This can be achieved in two ways:

1. If you edit your panner automation data manually, simply copy and paste the automation data from the channel panner automation lane to the send panner automation lane. You must make sure yourself that you keep the two automation lanes in sync if you edit either of them.

2. If you record your panner automation data during playback, make sure that Link panners: on is set. Cubase will then automatically record the send panner automation data along with the channel panner automation data. (It will even open that automation lane if it was still closed.)

If this is not a bug, it is a confusing feature. It would be more intuitive if the send panner automation followed the channel panner automation if Link panners: on is set. Then of course, to avoid a different potential source of confusion, the send panner automation lane would need to be shown as disabled/locked/grayed-out or similar. Otherwise, the user may wonder why any automation data on that lane is ignored.

Hey guys,
As this is still not fixed with the current Cubendo 13, I would like to bring it up again.
If this is not considered to be a bug but a feature, it is not what professional mixers need.

Eventhough „link Panner“ is activated, all sends (so all parallel comp/saturation/fx busses) default to be send to the middle. So if you mix a drum set for example, pan the hat little left, toms left/right…. And then route all drum tracks to a parallel compression bus, all sends will be panned in the middle and the compressed signal will have a complete different stereo image than the dry signals.

This needs to be fixed PLEASE!