Sends & reverb in Play-mode

Mine say -0.08 as well under the Play instruments. I can attach a screen shot if you like.

rexwine,

In my experience, with ARIA, the AUX sends are NOT established in the Dorico Mixer automatically. If I want them, I need to click the Sends tab in Dorico’s mixer and set them up myself. For now there is only one fader we can point the Aux send at. It’s the pinkish one on the Mixer, which I believe has one of the Steinberg Reverb plugins set up by default.

I’ll have to double check, but I think this is also the case for HALion instances that are started manually.

I.E. If Dorico sets things up automatically in HSSE based on the Player/Sections in the Setup tab…then the aux sends are automatically initiated for us.

I.E. If I launch my own instance of HSSE, Sonic, or HALion 6 to set up my own custom sounds…it’ll throw up 16 faders (Or 64 with H6) on the Dorico Mixer. If I want fewer faders to show up, I can reduce the number in the endpoint settings of the play tab (gear wheels in the plugin list of the play tab). In this case I don’t think Dorico automatically sets up the Aux Sends. I also have to manually assign instrument slots to the outputs/faders I want, as by default, everything gets routed to the ‘main’ outputs on channels 1&2.

Finally, in my experience, once I do set things up as I like them, once I save the score it tends to stick.

Thanks. I will try some work around. Seems more of a pain than it should be.

It is at first when dealing with plugins and sounds that aren’t part of the default/native templates (HSSE and HSO) that ship with Dorico.

Before Dorico can do things automatically for you, it must be armed with the proper information. Otherwise, it has no idea what the plugin supports, and how you want it set up.

With Dorico 3, you can now make templates, and as far as I know, those store your Dorico Mixer effect and send settings as well. Eventually some of the library makers might include Dorico templates with their stuff. Users out here in the wild might share some as well.

For now, with plugins other than HALion SE (HSSE), it would seem to be a good idea to devote each individual instrument to his own plugin instance, though you can have templates that mix and match.

HSSE is a little different in that Dorico knows how to manage individual plugin slots. For other plugins it ‘might’ be able to manage individual slots, but then again, it might not. So, when working with third party plugins, at least for now, it seems logical to isolate each instrument to his own unique end point in a dedicated plugin instance.

I.E. Start a score with ONLY one stave…Do a 1st Violin tutti Secton in Setup, with any extra articulations in there for channel hopping if required, in an instance of his own. Assign an expression map. Set up the Dorico Mixer the way you like (number of faders, effects, etc.), save the end point, and make a template.

Repeat for second violins. Again for soloists, etc…

It doesn’t really have to mess up your workflow…as you can always build templates ‘later’ from your ‘built on the fly’ scores when it is more convenient to do so. I.E. Save a copy of your full score. Open it a second time in a new Project Window…delete all the staves but the instrument(s) you wish to include in a template, then go through the process to save the instrument’s end point into a template.

Once you have made your templates, Dorico 3 can now automatically call them up exactly as you designed them.