Separate VCA and Rec Arm/Select/Monitor Functions

. . or at least make it an option in Preferences to function the way Solo/Listen and Mute do now in VCA Groups.

The Record Arming and Selecting of Channels has nothing to do with the VCA Function at all.

VCAs allow channel fader level adjustments of gain Irrespective of each channels path.

This allows multiple different Post Fade sends and Direct Connect routings over several channels to vary appropriately - but as a group.
This cannot be done with a Sub Group.
It can be done with the original “Link” feature but not as conveniently (having an actual separate Master VCA Fader and not having to use “Alt” to tweak single channel levels).

The classic example is if you send several channels to a Sub Group you can vary the levels of the channels as a group with the Sub but not the levels each channel is sending to, say, a Reverb or other post fade routing.
Pull this Sub all the way down and you’ll still hear the Reverb.

Most people know this and I’m sure you SB guys do but I explain it cause there seems to be some confusion here as to the difference and I want all to understand why I’m requesting this.

So . . . what does this function (VCA Faders) have to do with Multi Record Arming or Multi Selecting? NOTHING!
And it makes it a pain if you want to Rec Arm a single member of the Group or bring the focus of the Channel Edit Window to the same (have to use “Alt”).

If it is desired to Select all, or Rec Arm all, or Monitor all - do it on the Master VCA Fader!

And, as I said at the top of thid diatribe, you guys got it right with Solo, Listen, and Mute:
Activate these on all from the Master VCA - or individually from each channel.

Beautimous!

Thanks for reading this far . . .
Please back me up here if you agree!

Hugh

+1

+1

This! I need to choose a channel and it record enables all the channels in the vca group!!!

+1 here too.

Record/Monitor should be added to the parameters that can be linked/unlinked in the Link Group Settings dialog. In fact, I don’t know why no-one (including myself :blush: :wink: ) never requested this for Linked Channels even before VCA was added :wink:.

Absolutely HughH. I am with you on all accounts (in all threads, in all forums and threads) :wink:

PS. I guess everyone who have used a “real” VCA system agree with HughH on these matters.

The VCA function should be seperated from the Link/Group feature.
At least give us the option to use the fader without linking all other functions.

This is important:
The Record Arming and Selecting of Channels has nothing to do with the VCA Function at all.

+1

+1

+1

+1

+1

+1

+1

+1

seems fixed in 8.02!!!

yyay!!!

Well . . . actually only select is fixed.

Record Arm and Monitor still affect all . . .
And, as stated in my original post, these should only arm globally when doing it from the VCA channel.

But, Hey! 33.3% is better than nothing.
And you can still use the “Alt” key.

Hugh

I agree… and arrrgh, why not 99%?

I can arm record and toggle monitoring on a single track y the SUS (suspend linking) is activated in the mixer.
I know it s not ideal, but you can quick link if you need to arm several.

With the sus button engaged I think the functionality with the vca is now in better shape, you don’t have to use the ALT key.