Separating Hard Drives for Performance

I’m currently using a quad core MacBook with a 750 GB, 8 GB ram (maxed out) 7,200 hard drive. I’ve reached the limit in several projects where I use 7 or 8 virtual instruments (clicking, breaking up and very slow response times). I recently bought Vir2 Electi6ity. Great software but loves CPU resources. I’m considering a Mac Pro, 6 core, 32 GB ram, but before I spend the money I’m trying to figure out if adding a separate hard drive for files and samples will help. I do have a first generation Thunderbolt connection. I prefer Mac for simplicity and consistency with all my computers. I’m also thinking most of my problem may be ram. True?

Any thoughts.

Buck

I’d first switch to an SSD - it will effectively give you a new MacBook for a fraction of the money.
(Mechanical HD’s are the weakest link in the data throughput chain)

I’d get a 500g or 750g Samsung EVO (about $300-$400) for the main drive.
(and if necessary, put extra sample libraries and VSTi’s on an external drive.)

And when it eventually becomes time to upgrade your comp, your investment is safe as you can simply transfer the SSD to the new Mac.

Aloha guys,

I’d first switch to an SSD - it will effectively give you a new MacBook for a fraction of the money.

And when it eventually becomes time to upgrade your comp, your investment is safe as you can simply transfer the SSD to the new Mac.

‘Right on’ advice!
{‘-’}