Serious Audio Performance peaking issue on high end system

Just another data point, since Windows Update has been mentioned a few times now. I had a Dell Precision laptop working solidly, really low latency (and yes even for non-studios, low latency is important, at least for some who use VST instruments where fast response is critical). At some point around Windows update 2004 or 20H2, something did change, and I had DPC latency spikes that were far more difficult to fix than in the past. I’ve taken care of the worst of it now, finally, with some group-policy edits and munging around in the Device Manager (disabling some of the Thermal Framework devices).

In my case, it has to do with being a laptop and the Intel Thermal Subsystem. But the thing is, yes, things can get worse with simple Windows Updates.

1 Like

Have a few of you ever tried installing two different versions of Windows 10 with the option to choose which version you want to use.

In this way, it would be possible to use a functional version that is perfectly compatible with Cubase without connection. Updates are made only when there is a certainty of compatibility between the two. And the other version to stay connected to the real world …

It sounds like a joke, but I’m really serious …

I had a recent episode where CB 11 was really glitchy. If I deleted a midi note using the key editor the whole clip would get deleted. I couldn’t add any inserts to the channel via left had side (had to use the Channel strip). CB CPU meter was going crazy (although it would play and record ok). There was even a twitching blue line in the EQ window on the left. I installed Elements 11 and was surprised to see the same issues.
Anyway, the cause of all this seemed to be the Yamaha ASIO driver. If i used the Generic driver i had none of these issues at all, switched back, and back they came instantly.
I ended up going back to 2.0.3 and then back up to 2.0.4 and all the issues went away.
Longwinded way of saying it could be the driver.

A little hope in sight … The 21H1 version is upon us …

Microsoft traditionally delivers two major Windows updates per year, with most of the bigger features dropping in the spring and a smaller update in the fall.

The latest H1 updates were released in May, so soon. I imagine that Steinberg will make the update of Cubase coincide with that of Windows. So obviously this spring. Will it be in May or June? Who knows?

I can’t wait to see the impact these updates will have on how Cubase works, will we be On Cloud Nine or still in hell?

@garethk Just playing devil’s advocate here did you try using a generic asio driver or the generic low latency just to rule the ASIO system out?

I’ve experienced the same. All versions of Cubase on 2 systems with constant spikes at min buffer settings. However, I can still record a single track. Switching of multi-processing in Studio Setup also calms the audio perf down. I can up the buffer when mixing.

No snow here. Only rain. But I’m close to the mountains.

Sorry, I should have been more clear in my post, i was using the Generic Low latency Driver and not a generic ASIO driver.

Generic has no such spikes, but it’s also a min latency of 20ms. I can raise the buffer to about 3.1 ms in RME and the spikes stop. But before around Feb 30th my new system was fine on minimum buffer with the RME. There was no new windows update installed around that date. And both my old and new system show the same behaviour since then.
UPDATE:
Could any of these cause a problem?

@garethk Hi that’s interesting … so there is a definite bottleneck occurring somewhere.

Does the dell have a realtek internal soundcard? If so, is this disabled in device manager or in the BIOS? Id start by disabling it see if this helps, then remove the Realtek updates.

onwards from there I’d try removing the Intel Media update, and then the Dell Extension, checking cubase inbetween each uninstall. I don’t think that Waves will be causing you the issue. I’ve had software updates like the ones you have cause bottlenecks with ‘new optimisations’ before so they are definitely worth trying removing.

Long story short. I had to do a complete Windows reinstall. Then sorted out BIOS & NVIDIA card updates with Dell tech support. I had a few hours of this beautiful image:
But at some point around midnight 23rd the spikes suddenly returned. I can only surmise one of these auto update reinstalls caused it:
DRIVER_UPDATES20212304
or

Now I’m back to square one.
None of the listed updates have any option to uninstall anywhere in Windows as far as I can find. Additionally, uninstalled device drivers or components just get automatically reinstalled by Windows.

Just to repeat my system:
Dell XPS 9700 32gb i7-10875H
NVIDIA-GeForce-RTX-2060 + Intel UHD
1024GB WD SSD
Cubase 11
Windows (was 2004) & 20H2 - same problems

Things are going a lot better on my side. I reinstalled Windows with all that it implies, software, various drivers, etc. Subsequently, I installed all the Steinberg software and libraries that I acquired over the years, as well as the ROLI software and FXpansion. It took me a little over a day, but I’m happy with the result, because some project which caused Cubase to overload with 2048 buffer size samples with my UR22 interface, and well now everything works with 384, even 256 samples of buffer size.

I’m still not sure what caused this overload, as this is the same version of Windows that reinstalled with the latest Cubase 11.0.20 update. However, in the version history, there is no mention that Steinberg fixed a major problem related to audio and the CPU.

I presume maybe Windows had system file corruption which was causing interaction with audio interface, USB ports or other mysteries. Who knows?

What is important is that everything is back to normal and everything is working fine as before.

With that, I hope things will work out for you, garethk.

Greetings!

1 Like

Same problem here with my Orion studio synergy core :cold_sweat:!Even worse overload ,that it crashes in 20 or 30 seconds every time!And in 11 pro no problems @ all!Very strange!

I’ve heard other instances of the xps not performing well with audio production software. They used to be a good model.

I had horrible peaks with the new Verve piano in some presents (especially the Dramatic one) even though my computer is very strong.
Activated the “Activate Steinberg Audio Power Scheme” and now everything works fine.
It is in the studio setup. maybe it’ll help a bit.

Hello,

I am not sure if this is going to work for you.

I am on Cubase 11.0.41

I am working on a heavy session with a ton of very heavy sound libraries, but I am running 18 cores/36 threads and by no means I should have ANY problems.

However, a Cubase session I was running reasonably, became impossible to run as it developed audio peaks which were constant.

This carried on to ANY other Cubase files.

I fixed the program by doing the following (I am on Windows 10).

Open Task Manager->End Task for Cubase->Restart Cubase->Prompt Screen->Disable Program Preferences.

I tried this, and all my problems disappeared.

I did the same process, but this time I took the option to ‘Delete Personal Preferences’ and Cubase runs great.

I do not understand what happened there as the program restored the settings to ASIO Guard to Normal, disabled the Audio Power Scheme and Cubase runs better when I had the ASIO Guard to High and Audio Power Scheme to ‘On’.

Hugely perplexed, but grateful that Cubase runs well…

I hope this helps.

1 Like