Serious Bug with Drag and Drop (steps to reproduce)

1.Create an empty project
2.Copy an audio file A.wav to your desktop
3.Drag and drop the audio file A.wav to your project
4.Modify the audio file A.wav in your desktop (for instance mute a part of it) and save it with the same name.
5.Drag and drop the audio file A.wav to your project

The result of step 5 is that the old file A.wav is copied again to your project without the modifications of step 4.

Cubase should detect in step 5 that A.wav was modified since the last time and import the new version of it when you drag and drop it again.

This happens in Cubase 10.0.60, Windows 10, 64 bit
Can somebody confirm if this happens in Cubase 10.5.20?

Hi,

From Cubase point of view, it’s still the same file, which sits in the Pool already.

No it’s not the same file. It has the same name and path but its contents have changed. A simple look at its last modification date would allow Cubase to update its contents in the Pool. Can we agree that the current “Cubase point of view” is wrong?

Hi,

Sorry, I don’t agree. I can imagine, Cubase could ask, if I want to overwrite the existing file, or if I want to make a new entry to the Pool (to get both files). Definitely I wouldn’t prefer Cubase would change my content without letting me know.

Btw, if we would change your scenario a bit, Cubase would behave the way you expect:
1.Create an empty project
2.Copy an audio file A.wav to your desktop
3.Drag and drop the audio file A.wav to your project
4.Close and save your project.
5.Modify the audio file A.wav in your desktop (for instance mute a part of it) and save it with the same name.
6.Reopen the project

=> The modified file would load.

Cubase should not change the content without your permission, it should simply import the modified file as a new file in the pool even if it has the same name and path. I’m talking about the scenario where you have selected “Copy to project” when you drag and drop the file, so the old version of the file is already in the “Audio” folder. Cubase should simply realize that it has changed and copy this new version to the “Audio” folder (maybe with a “(2)” suffix to differentiate it from the first one).

This is very inefficient in my opinion. Ableton Live or Studio One handle perfectly what I’m describing here.