SERIOUS Installation problems with CB6 -- it HANGS!!!!!

You will be missed here so much…

Cubase 6 works better than any other Cubase version I’ve owned, and I’ve had them all.

However, what you are describing are dongle, graphics, sound, cursor and other “riddled” features… no one has “all” the problems with a software, when others don’t experience the same thing. Descriptions like you presented is systemic, as in relating to your entire computer.

I feel for your situation, but again, you need some create some perspective (to your system).

Now, before you get your knickers in a twist, please note that yes, I think Steinberg is awesome. And if it makes you feel any better, you may call be a “Steinberg fan-boy”, LOL, it doesn’t bother me.

One thing I need to tell you though, I am enjoying Cubase 6 immensely!

When I look at the posts of the TS and the way he talks, he just seems rude and ignorant to me.

Ofcourse you only see the problems on the Cubase forums. Nobody ‘can’t be arsed’ to go online and say: great software! Because they’re working with it :wink:

Besides that: I also think, that if CB4, CB5 and CB6 is not working to your likings, you have faulty hardware or you don’t know how to setup a system properly. I’m not trying to ridicule you, but seriously, find a person who can help you with your system. There’s nothing wrong with the software, believe me!

I had also some problems during the Cubase 6 install last evening. The 3rd time the installation was almost completed … but during the last part of the Halion SE installation it hanged again. In the end, I interrupted the installation, ran the separate setup of Halion again (modify) and everything is working now.
I have the feeling this problem is caused by my DVD reader. Sometimes it was not able to find the DVD anymore and it looks like the installation program can’t resume installation when the disk is found again.

Strange enough I had no problem at all when installing C5 a few months ago on the same PC

As mentioned before in such a case it makes sense to copy the whole content to hard drive (to be sure that all installation files are readable) and install it from there.

Hi Sonic, hi everyone,

sure youre angry. Who wouldnt be in your situation. It appears, the Steinbergers gave their all to solve the situation & Im afraid, it seems to me as if youre blaming the wrong people here.

To me it rather sounds like a malicious conglomerate of software/drivers/registry entries…whatever since you`re not even able to re-install CB5.

If I was in your shoes, I´d go even further & re-install the whole operating system.
This is time consuming & annoying but probably the most promising way to get CB6 run.

I hate to say it but I agree to that above quote a 100%… :unamused:

Hope, you`ll find a solution!

Joan

After getting my previous C5.5.2 back up and running successfully properly using WindowsImagebackup I tried installing version 6 again. (From Steinberg HQ supplied disc copied to my external HD)

It hung “registering modules” again. I used task manager to abort the process and rebooted. I then ran the install again and selected “Custom” it showed that CB6 was installed but no content.

I selected all the content options and ran the install again and it installed the content properly!

So now, at last after 3 weeks faffing about, I have C6 up and running along with C5.5.2.

I have opened some previous projects and played around with it and so far so good. Extremely disappointed that the “Note Expression” feature seems to only works with suitable compatible VST 3 plugins. Steinberg should have clarified this restriction clearly in their promo blurb as this was the sole reason I upgraded.

The “De-Esser” does not seem to come supplied with any presets? Is this correct?

Extremely unhappy that I had this insane trouble installing this product and remain an unhappy, and deeply cynical, Steinberg customer.

For balance, there’s two or three main references about VST3.5 instruments and Note Expression etc (as part of the new VST Expression 2), on the 'What’s New In Cubase 6" product features info pages:-
http://www.steinberg.net/en/products/cubase/cubase6_new_features.html

As such, I was left in little doubt about these new functions not working (being compatible) with existing VSTi’s

Just saying… :wink:

The “new features” page for Cubase 6 (provided previously by Puma*) states “VST 3.5 compatible instruments” a couple of times even. Hard to miss, especially if such a feature was a sole reason for a $199 (or whatever currency) upgrade.

Besides, VST2 instruments can be used with Note Expression, with the exception that individual notes cannot be pitch bent or CC modulated, since the restriction of MIDI does not allow for it, and MIDI was the basis for the VST2 protocol.

Also, even if VST2 would have been expanded (with backwards compatability for plug-in developers) with Note Expression (instead of going the VST3 route), the vendors still would’ve had to change the code in their plug-ins to accomodate the feature, in which case you still would not have had the pleasure of utilize Note Expression (the VST3 way, that is).

Same problem over here.

I have removed C6 completely and had a real hard time to get CStudio5 to reinstall (it finally succeed when switching the dongle in another USB port). But when trying to install CS5.1.x the installer starts and dissappears after 2 seconds.

All help appreciated.