Set new session name within Cubase when saving alternate mixes?

There are common scenarios where I must save an alternate version of a session, change it, and rename it accordingly.

Namely, when I’m done a mix and it’s approved, many genres require ‘alt mixes’ including Instrumental, Clean edit, and Acapella.

If I open the Main mix, and choose File>Save New Version, I don’t see how to effectively change the name within Cubase. I tried by opening the New Project… dialog and right clicking on the current session, and choose ‘Rename’. That appears to work at first, but actually doesn’t. It renames the file in the macOS Finder, but messes up the loaded Cubase version, which doesn’t recognize it, and later Cubase just resaves a duplicate with the old name out of RAM.

So far, I have to make the new session and then close it, rename it in the Finder. Then re-open.

If I want a new name on a session file (and no confusion: matching backups, etc right from the start), how can I do that?

I work in 2 other DAWs and both have their own approach to this that are unique, but work none the less directly from within the DAW.

How can I tackle this in Cubase without needing to close and reopen the session (which can sometimes be quite large and slow).

SAVE AS…
like in all other normal programs

“Save new version” adds an automatic generated number to the end of the file name

1 Like