setting Monitor out to silent

OK. Weird request I know. I found a live looping VST plugin that I love…except that it requires input monitoring to be on for it to take in a signal (it’ll play back the loop without monitoring engaged). I monitor externally, and I’m also using the same mic for multiple channels of looping. Which means that if I monitor all the channels with a looper on it, I’m getting the same signal multiplied in the monitor out, which becomes very loud.

Anyhow, I’m trying to find a hack way to have the channel input monitor engaged, but I’m hoping to either mute the output, or route it to an output that’s separate from what I’m listening to (and maybe not connected to anything).

In other words, I want the input monitoring on, but I don’t actually want to hear the signal coming in. Any suggestions? I’m always grateful for this forum’s assistance.

Hi,

What about to Mute the tracks? Or set the Volume to -oo? Or set output to Not Connected?

I want to hear the loop played back, but I don’t want to hear my input being monitored. Yet, the loop plugin seems to require input monitoring to be enabled. So I can’t just mute the track or I won’t hear the loop I just made.

The loop is in the same track you are going to record to? Or in other track?

Please make sure you understand the Monitor button.

• Enable = Cubase ignites what is recorded in the Track and plays thru what comes to the input.
  • Disabled = Cubase plays back data of the Track and ignites (Mute) the input signal.

Yes, the looper is on the same channel as the audio I’m recording. I know what the monitor button is supposed to do. I’m just trying to find a clever way to trick it I suppose.

I don’t understand, why is it on the same track. In this case, I’m afraid it’s not possible.

Which VSTi are you using for this?

I’m not sure if this will help. It is possible to route a track to a Group Channel and then have the Group set to “no bus” and yet still have it be the input to an Audio Channel – kind of like a patch chord. I’m not sure this will help, but it might. Also, perhaps, a Pre-Fader FX Channel? Maybe use a Group as an Insert (pre-fader)?

Without knowing which VSTi you’re working with it is difficult to know what is or is not possible. Good luck.

I don’t think routing on to another track via send or otherwise can help as the input monitoring always follows the same route.
If you can’t hear the input then you also won’t hear the output of the plug.

I still don’t get this:

In other words, I want the input monitoring on, but I don’t actually want to hear the signal coming in. Any suggestions? I’m always grateful for this forum’s assistance.

Why do you want the input monitor on, if you don’t want to hear the incoming signal? To enable Monitor means to hear the incoming signal. So is really contradiction.

He answered this question in the first post…the looper plugin does not record audio unless input monitor is on.

It makes sense. By the Monitor button you decide what signal pass to the Insert effects. Either input signal (Monitor On) or data in the Track (Monitor Off).

Which is why it is not possible to achieve what the OP wants.
Maybe it would be possible for the plugin developer to add an input mute for people using direct monitoring?

I see.