Setting up MIDI drum machine with UR44

Hi All,

I’m trying to set up a MIDI drum machine (Alesis SR16) to use with the UR44. Right now I have a MIDI cable from “MIDI out” of the drum machine to “MIDI IN” on the UR44.

I don’t know how to add the output of the drums as a track to the software I’m using (Studio One), and I don’t see how to configure the UR44 to “see” the MIDI drums.

Is the trouble because I don’t have two MIDI cables? Do I need ‘out-to-in’ AND ‘in-to out’ cables? Or am I missing a step in the process? :confused:

Any assistance is greatly appreciated!! :smiley:

Hi.

It depends whether you want just the audio output, the midi data, or both.

If you want to record the audio, you need to connect main outputs of the drum machine to audio inputs on the UR.
I would use inputs 5/6 for that but it’s up to you.

With your current setup, midi out from drum machine to midi in on UR, you can record the midi data.
This can be useful if you want to record the patterns from the Alesis. Possibly to trigger some other VST instruments.

Or you can use it as a sound module. But in this case you need to connect midi out on UR to midi in on the drum machine.
Create a midi track. Select UR as midi output. I think it follows standard mapping. C1 for kick, D1 for snare…

Re: Setting up MIDI drum machine with UR44

Unread postby misohoza » Sat Mar 05, 2016 3:09 pm
Hi.

It depends whether you want just the audio output, the midi data, or both.

If you want to record the audio, you need to connect main outputs of the drum machine to audio inputs on the UR.

With your current setup, midi out from drum machine to midi in on UR, you can record the midi data.
This can be useful if you want to record the patterns from the Alesis. Possibly to trigger some other VST instruments.

Or you can use it as a sound module. But in this case you need to connect midi out on UR to midi in on the drum machine.
Create a midi track. Select UR as midi output. I think it follows standard mapping. C1 for kick, D1 for snare…

Thank you for the clarification. I understand much better now. I was trying to record audio. So, I’ll just use the “main left” and “main right” quarter-inch TR connections to inputs 5 and 6. I don’t know why I didn’t think of that; I got sidetracked with the whole “MIDI” idea. Well done, thank you again!!! :sunglasses: :smiley:

Steve

The SR16 isn’t bad enough to sound like “classic” drum machines nor good enough to sound like real drums - even the worst modern drum sampler set will sound far, far better.

I don’t think anyone asked for your opinion on his gear?
Let him use whatever he wants…

Yes indeed! It worked just fine for me. I’m grateful. :smiley:

The SR16 isn’t bad enough to sound like “classic” drum machines nor good enough to sound like real drums - even the worst modern drum sampler set will sound far, far better.

You may be right, but this is working for me right now. My primary focus is getting guitar/bass/keyboard tracks down. Drum ‘quality’ isn’t a priority, I just need a beat. :slight_smile: Hopefully I’ll be able to recruit a human drummer soon! :smiley:

I’m very new to all of this home recording stuff, and I’m on the “learning by doing” plan. I appreciate everyone’s comments!

Yes it is fine for tracking. I bought an SR16 when it came out (still have it somewhere) and it was great in its day but sounds rather thin now. As for real drums, modern drum samplers are so good they are indistinguishable from real drums. Native’s Studio Drummer, EzDrummer and such like. Steinbergs own groove agent sounds pretty good.

Maybe i missed it in the threads but are you using cubase 7 or newer? If so give Groove Agent a spin. Of course as this is a UR thread you may be using a different DAW entirely. Good luck with your recording.