Setting up multiple headphone mixes using Steinberg UR824

I recently purchased a Steinberg UR824 to replace my Focusrite Scarlett 18i20, as the latter was causing my computer to crash.

The Steinberg has solved the crashing issue, but I now am really struggling to set up the multiple separate headphone mixes I was previously using with the Scarlett. I am able to send Mix 1 to the monitor speakers (via line outputs 1 & 2 on the rear of the UR824) but can’t seem to utilise the other line outputs (i.e. 3 & 4, 5 & 6, 7 & 8) unless I re-route Mix 1 (which means losing audio from the monitor speakers).

What I would like to do is (for example) send line outputs 3 & 4 into the live room, to give the talent his/her headphone mix, whilst I am still able to listen to my own mix in the control room on the monitor speakers. Also, if there is more than one musician, I would like to be able to send them separate headphone mixes using line outputs 3 & 4, 5 & 6 and 7 & 8, whilst maintaining my own mix via line outputs 1 & 2.

I am running a Windows 7 PC and Cubase AI4. I’ve done some research and keep seeing Cubase’s “Control Room” being mentioned in relation to monitoring set ups - this appears to only be including in the full Cubase Pro 9 software (£468). Must admit I am reluctant to spend this money, particularly as I don’t know whether Control Room would actually solve the problem.

Hope someone can help!

Hi,

I have CB Pro 9 with a UR824 and I do exactly what you’re looking to do. I do it via cue sends, what I don’t know is if that requires Control Room or not. Can you look in the VST Connections and see if you can create a cue bus? If so, route it to a pair of outputs. If not, then you may need Pro for its Control Room feature.

-E

E,

Thanks for the response. I’ve looked into it and it appears that the cue sends functionality is tied into Control Room, so I may have to invest in a copy of Pro 9. If this is the case then, it might be worth Steinberg considering providing copies of Cubase Pro 9 with their UR824, rather than Cubase AI4, which doesn’t actually allow you to make full use of the hardware.

Oh well, at least Pro 9 is only £450!

Really appreciate your response eli_lilly, if all else fails I will get a copy of Pro 9 and I’ll update this thread accordingly…

CNP

Poke around in the VST Connections and see what additional busses you can create in AI that are assignable to the 824 (if any). As long as you can create another buss, I think you’d be able to assign it as the output (versus main out) on a new channel strip. Then send to it and that should work as a single cue out.

-E

E,

Okay, so it appears that I’m able to assign different VST outputs, however only one works at a time. In the VST connections (see attached image), only the top Stereo Out pairing has any affect on the outputs of the UR824. So I am actually able to reassign the top Stereo Out to ‘UR824 Mix 2L - UR824 Mix 2R’ and the sound does come out of outputs 3 and 4 on the device, however this cuts the sound from outputs 1 and 2 (which is connected to the monitor speakers).

Also, if I change any of the other VST Connection outputs (i.e. Stereo Out 2 or Stereo Out 3) this has no affect, so it seems like I’m just running off of the one VST output.

Please let me know if you have any further thoughts - I really appreciate you getting back to me.

CNP