Setting up my controller with Cubase

I never can recall how to do this. I’ve already installed the template for my particular controller in the Generic Devices section of Cubase. However, I want to manually assign Fader 9 (for example) to a specific controller message, in this case, Aftertouch. My controller is an M-Audio Keystation 88 Pro, which does not transmit Aftertouch; however, my Garritan Jazz sample library uses Aftertouch to control Vibrato. The CC for Aftertouch is 131. I have messed with this for an hour, and spent another several hours browsing the Web. HELP!

what are you hosting the garritan samples in? If it is Kontakt or Halion, you can do the map in the mapper for each. If that library is stand alone player, I can’t help … I don’t have it.

Although, you might be able to do it with generic remote.

I’m using the Keystation template that I’ve imported into the Generic Remote section. The Garritan is opened as a plugin within Cubase. I’ve done this before, but it’s been awhile. I do recall the solution was pretty counterintuitive

Ok, if you are in generic remote, you have to remap one of the mods. So just for argument, lets say the mod wheel.

Find the mod wheel in the generic map. It will be assigned to the default mod CC. Change it to the aftertouch CC#.

It seems the issue is with how Garritan sets up their players. When I assign the particular knob to that VSTi, there isn’t any drop-down list of controller options, like there is for all my other VSTi’s. Somehow I need to figure out how to manually set the channel to cc131. The WAS a little software app that allowed one to do this for M-Audio controllers outside of one’s DAW, but damn if I can remember what it was called, or if I can find it. M-Audiohas a revamped website and it seems the little app isn’t posted there any longer :smiling_imp:

Thanks for the help :sunglasses:

Input Transformer

yeah, that should do it.

I solved it another way. The obvious way. I reassigned the cc message that my particular knobs send out AT the controller, instead of fiddling around with screens and stuff inside the DAW :laughing:

Thanks for the tip regarding the Input Transformer. I was only vaguely aware of it. The manual doesn’t say so, but it looks like the settings are saved with the song/project , which is cool :sunglasses:

lol, 100 ways to skin a cat.