Settings for French Horn, Bass Clarinet for 'old style' scores

I have a score I have been asked to engrave which has the bass clarinet, bass clef in Bb, sounding one step lower (not a 9th). And the horns, when they are in bass clef, sound a 4th higher.

So to do this, I have the bass clarinet in Bb, set the bass clef and then set the clef override for transposing to be 1. This seems to work, is that right?

For the horns, I have to set the clef override each time they switch to bass clef, but this time for concert pitch, to a -1.

This seems to work, but is cumbersome for each clef change. Is there a better way?

Thanks (not a transposing instrument player, obviously).
Scott

Once you have set up one section in bass clef with the appropriate clef/transposition override, I think that it is possible to use alt-click to copy that bass clef to another location. The bass clef in the new location should preserve the override.

1 Like

You want this instrument:

For the Horn in F, I don’t think there’s a better way. To the best of my knowledge there’s no instrument definition that handles the transposition of bass clef differently to the transposition of treble clef.

Hi Leo,

Tnanks, that’s the first thing I tried, but the “B flat sounds 8va bassa” still sounds 8va bassa in bass clef.

Hmm. I think you’re right. Apologies.

1 Like

Another approach. Use the Bass Clef 8 above/below clefs.
Then, in Notation Options > Clefs, set the Respect octave indicator option.
If you don’t want the little 8’s to show, go to Library > Music Symbols > Clefs and replace the glyphs with the standard Bass Clef glyph.

Hi Craig,

It looks like that’s what the clef override does, but with a bit less work.

Thanks so much!

1 Like