Setup Control Room Mixes out via MR816 analog out 1-8

MR816csx main and MR816x into csx via ADAT for 16ch mix working fine. Concerning “Control Room” Cubase 8: I want to send a main mix out of the csx analog out 1/2 via the control room to my speakers as “Monitor” giving me control of the volume to the speakers via the csx control pot #1. If there is a better way to do this I’m open for suggestions.

Additionally I want to setup 3 separate stereo mixes out of the csx analog 3/4, 5/6, and 7/8 respectively via the control room allowing control from “Control Room” for 3 distinctive headphone mixes completely separate from my main mix “Monitor” output to the speakers.

Currently I have the 3 analog csx stereo mixes out to my external headphone amp inputs setup through Control Room each as a “Cue” 1-3. I’m not getting the results I’m looking for and the csx pot #1 “master” controls the level sent to the Cue mix output instead of being separate.

I want to control the “main mix” output level to my speakers separately from the 3 “Cue” level outputs.

I seem to miss getting it and any help would be much appreciated.

In (F4 key) or Devices > VST Connections under Studio
Add a monitor channel if one does not already exist to be your Main Monitor Out.
Assign your Left / Right to the MR816csx analog out 1/2 and attach to your main Monitors.

The Big Red knob in the control room mixer allows software control of this output.

In (F4 key) or Devices > VST Connections under Studio
Add your Cue channels (add channel button) if they do not already exist.
Assign your Left / Right to the MR816csx analog out 3/4, 5/6, and 7/8 respectively.

The controls under the Cue Mixes allow for software control of these outputs.

In (F4 key) or Devices > VST Connections next to the Presets drop down select the icon with the “+” sign and save your preset.

Under the RACKS button on the main (F3 key) Mixconsole enable Cue Sends for fine tuning levels to each Cue channel in the control room mixer, enabling will make them appear on a new rack under your usual Sends.

Is that what you were looking for??
If not give me some more info!

The Encoder 1 controls the output of all the analog outputs (and Encoder 2 the digital) simultaneously. I suggest you set the encoder to the maximum level you want from any output and then use the controls as described by fretthefret to set the individual levels; monitor, cues, etc.

Actually, I have mine set to almost full on (like a little bit of headroom). Then then use the volume knobs on my cue amp to control the headphones volume. Also, I have a physical volume knob hooked up between the audio interface and my power amp. The reason I use this is safety. Digitally controlled knobs (like the encoder) can be changed by software, while a physical knob can’t.

This way there no risk of me getting my eardrums blown out. This could happen if you were to hook your analog outputs on the 816 directly to your power-amp and rely solely on the encoder as your monitoring volume.

Thanks Fretthefret. I have my system setup as you describe and in addition from what I understand is necessary, I have the outputs listed in VST Connections Outputs Tab however they are “not connected” as they are being used by Studio listed in the Studio Tab. I was confused when it came to the master volume 1 on my csx as it related to Studio.

Thanks Svenne. I will take your advice concerning the encoder 1 level leaving control of speaker output level and cue output levels to the software Studio Mixer. I do get your point with software control of volume output levels to speakers and headphones. I make it a habit to turn all tangible masters down prior to shutting down in sequence starting with speakers however I will make a note to include turning down the levels in Studio Mixer as an added safety measure prior to closing up the project.

I’d just like to stress the importance of a physical volume control. I’ve seen occasion when the computers have jumped from, say, 50% to a 100% output level, for no apparent reason. Perhaps a minor bug somewhere. It’s very rare that this happens, but it can happen with a software controlled volume control. It takes just one occurrence at the wrong time, to have disastrous consequences.

Imagine that it happens when a musician is making a recording with headphones on. This could easily cause severe hearing damage or, in the worst case, total hearing-loss (ruptured eardrums).

I think it should be a legal requite that all audio interfaces should have a non-software controlled maximum output level knob or pot. Unfortunately it isn’t, so it’s up to us studio owners to make sure that we don’t jeopardize our talents carers (and life). I, for one, would not live with the knowledge that my studio has caused the ending of someones musical career.

Even if your amp has a physical input level knob, it is important that you never trust your computers or audiointerfaces software controlled volume controls. If you set your software controlled volume control to 50% and then set your amps input control, it could still cause serious damage if the software controlled volume control were to jump to 100%!

The way I set it up is:

1. I have a physical volume knob inserted between the audio interface and the power amp. (Most headphone (cue) amps has internal physical knobs.)
  2. I set all volume controls (monitor volume and cue levels in Cubases Control Room, the computer output volume and the MR816 encoder) to full on.
  3. I then play a loud piece of music and check the meters reaches max.
  4. I then turn up my physical volume until I reach the maximum level I want to allow (and I should never touch this again).

I can then back down the Control Room monitor level and cue levels to a proper working levels, safe in the knowledge that no spikes will exceed my maximum levels (and that the musicians leave the studio with their hearing intact).

Of cause setting up a proper gain-chain from input to output, before setting up a maximum allowed output level, is a good idea. But that’s a tutorial for another time. :wink:

The reason I use a separate volume control is that my power amp lacks physical input controls. If your amp have them, you don’t need to add a physical knob. If you do need to add a knob, any old spare mixer you have lying around will do. As an alternative, something like this (http://www.smproaudio.com/index.php/en/products/monitor-controllers/nano-patch-plus) is a good option. It even has a mute button that can act a panic button, if needed.