Shallow Copy of MIDI Block

If I remember correctly, Cubase 5 allowed me to create a shortcut to an existing MIDI block by holding down Cntl+Alt while clicking on a block and then dragging it to the left or right until a new block was created. I would then have two blocks. If I edited the notes or velocities of either block, both blocks would be updated. This might be kind of like “Shallow Copies” in computer programming or soft links in GNU\Linux.

Now, when I copy MIDI blocks in Cubase 10.5, I seem to always get a completely independent new MIDI Block. If need to later make corrections, I then have to correct all blocks independently. This is very time consuming when I’m “brainstorming”. I think this might be kind of like making a “deep copy” in computer programming.

In Cubase, there are times when I want to make a “deep copy” of a MIDI block and then there are times when I want to make a “shallow copy”, how do I let Cubase 10.5 know which I want?

I guess you’re talking about shared copies, see the manual entry: Shared Copies

or

1 Like

Yes, I think you’re right there. I see it now, only my shift key ain’t doing what it’s supposed to for some reason. I guess I have something mapped wrong somewhere…

Edit-Functions-Repeat and Cntl-K are decent work arounds for me until I figure out what I goofed up per your guidance below.

Thanks!!!

Yeah… Preferences>Editing>Tool Modifiers

1 Like

Hey, I don’t want to make a mess of this thread, but my Tool Modifiers appear to be set correctly…

Must be a bug or virus in my Win 10 Version 21H2? Thanks to you giving the me the correct terminology, I have a work around now though.

Peace

In the screenshot of your Key Commands the “Shift” key alone isn’t the modifier - it is “Alt+Shift”

1 Like

03:25:51. How to loop an audio event so that copies reflect changes of original