Shared Copies

In Cubase 8.0.35, splitting or copying/pasting a part that has been turned into a Shared Copy unlinks them, and they become “real” copies. This destroys the usefulness of the feature if you split and copy as much as I do. Can anyone confirm if this is the case in 8.5.15 (or if there is a way to prevent them from being unshared)?

Thanks.

(c:

Say you have a shared copy of tow events “abc” and “abc”.
Now if you split one of the events to “ab|c” it is not an exact copy of “abc” anymore and can not be shared anymore. This is why they are unlinked, that is logical.

If you want to create a shared copy of a shared copy you can copy with Alt+Shift+Drag or you can press control+k.

Gr,
JHP

What I do is instead of splitting the copy I ‘share’ copy it onto the next lane, then move the end of the upper part backwards and the start of the next part forwards. This is more work but keeps the sharing… Obviously they’re all sharing the same part by doing this but just showing/playing different sections.

Perhaps suggest a new feature which splits shared parts and keeps the sharing by creating two shared parts in all instances across the project? It could be very useful I think.

Mike.

Thanks for the replies!

Is is not possible for the split to be automatically duplicated on the shared part, and sharing reinstated for the two new parts though? I’m no programmer so perhaps it’s not so simple, but I can’t see much benefit in the feature if it accounts for everything except two of the most common editing tasks.

Interesting suggestion, however I don’t think that would be an improvement on my current workaround.

Just to clarify on my workflow: usually my projects involve stacked synths and unison parts, and I’m constantly alternating between re-recording and editing individual events, and chopping up/copying all the tracks in the project as I work out the arrangement. As it stands, every time I make one of these edits to the arrangement followed by an edit to a unison track, the connection breaks and I have to delete and re-share those parts. This happens so frequently that it negates the point of using the feature at all.

Indeed, a feature request is called for I think!

(c:

Hi,
This is not how it is implemented. So I guess you could make it a feature request in the FR Forums.

Gr,
JHP

Alt+shift+drag works for me, but unfortunately control+k does not. Is the control+k a key command? If so what is its name as searching for “shared” in my key commands came up with only “Audio - On Processing Shared Clips”

Keycommands–> Edit–> Repeat = Control+K

Gr,
JHP

When I press Ctrl-K I get a dialog asking me how many copies I want with a check box for creating Shared Copies.

I use shared copies in exactly the same way, stacking, unison, 5ths etc sending to different instruments. I’d love to see some new functionality added to the current implementation, for example, key commands for paste as shared, replace as shared, highlight all shared, etc.

But I think the feature that I’d most need would be to split a shared copy in two parts, and all shared copies then split into two with the left parts linked and the right parts linked, hence creating two shared copies. A special cut as shared tool perhaps??

Mike.

Hi,
Then you should make a FR or even several FR’s in the FR Forum with a link to this thread on this. Try to be as specific as possible and at best also provide some mockups. I will then enter it in the database.

I also once heard a FR about something like a matrix like overview of shared events with a dedicated window that offers additional functionalitys for all kinds of shared related operations. But the user never entered this as FR in the FR Forum and did not provide any mockups.

Gr,
JHP