Sharp and Flat symbols in titles and text

Hello,

Thanks for reading my post. Just wondering if it’s possible to add sharp and flat symbols to titles and text in Dorico. Coming from Sibelius it’s a matter of hitting the CTRL key plus and 8 or 9 on the number keypad. Is there something similar in Dorico? Been reading the user guide; haven’t found a solution yet.

I create scores for students and in many instances will add analysis of scale degrees and or chord tones; so it would be wonderful to add sharp and flat symbols to my analysis.

I have tried using windows character map; didn’t work. Please let me know if there is a way to add sharp and flat symbols to text.

Thanks!

-Warren

Yup. Use the tokens {@flat@} and {@sharp@}. You can also get to them quickly by right clicking and selecting from the contextual menu in many situations.

1 Like

Also, if you’re using the Academico font, there are accidentals under the “Miscellaneous Symbols” category. You should be able to access these with your font picker(?).

Better yet, check out PopChar, an inexpensive third party picker that has lots of helpful features to help in dealing with fonts.

How do you get a flat symbol in a line of lyrics and how do you get a flat symbol in default text? I’ve tried using the token {@flat@} and the SMuFl code: U+ED60 pasted in after selecting ‘Music Text’ as the Character Style, but nothing seems to work.
Also, in a line of lyrics: If I want to enter a - (minus) sign, how do I do that…If you hit the minus sign on the keyboard it advances you to the next note. I would like to write: -7 under a note using lyric text.
Thanks

To add a non-breaking hyphen, use Alt-hyphen.

You can copy-paste glyphs from here: Browse the glyphs | SMuFL

Thanks Dan, but I have been copying and pasting those glyphs and I still don’t get a flat symbol! This is what I’ve been doing: Select a note, hit shift x for default text, select ‘music text’ from the Character Style menu, Paste U+E260…No symbol. What am I doing wrong? Sorry if this seems so obvious.

No, copy the actual glyph itself, not the Unicode.

Okay…Got it! Thanks…I guess you cannot currently use these symbols with Lyric Text, but you can work around it.

You can’t use them in lyrics text unless you switch your lyrics font to e.g. Bravura Text or possibly Academico. You could, for instance, switch your Chorus font or your Translation font, then switch to that line of lyrics when you need such a glyph, but if it’s interspersed with regular text lyrics you’ll need to shunt individual lines up or down in Engrave mode.

You can use U+266D for flat in almost any font. Sharp and natural are E and F in the same series

1 Like

Thanks everyone! I have finally got to grips with the previous mysteries of Unicode, so I will share my findings:
You can indeed copy and paste the Glyphs from the Steinberg SMuFL document that Dan linked to in post #4 above…you will then have to resize them and edit the baseline to get them to line up with your other text.
However, if you change your keyboard input to Unicode Hex Input you can just punch in the numbers while holding down the ‘option’ key on a Mac or ‘Alt’ on a PC. If, for example, you use the code E260 from the Steinberg Document, (in Unicode Mode) you will get a flat, but it will be small. You can resize it of course and change the baseline.
Marc is correct though: If you use (In unicode mode, holding option/alt) 266D the flat symbol will be the same size as the font you are using. This also works with ‘Lyric Input’ without any other changing of fonts etc, and does seem to work with almost all fonts as he says. This is the way to go in Dorico. I think I saw another post where Daniel said these other ‘sized’ unicode glyphs will be added/updated at some point in the Steinberg SMuFL document. So, if you want any accidentals mixed in with text, switch to Unicode input mode and use 266D, 266E or 266F rather than E260, E261 or E262 for a ♭, ♮ or ♯ respectively!

So to clear something up for a Unicode noobe like myself, the “U+” at the start of a Unicode just means hold down ALT/OPT while typing the rest of the code?

Yes, but you must also change your keyboard language to Unicode Hex Input in order for it to work. I had never heard of this before either, but on a Mac, if you go to keyboard preferences and search for hex, it will show up and you can select it as your computers language. I’m sure it’s easy to select on a PC too.

There have been quite a number of threads with all these unicode entry modes explained (the first being by Daniel, and I am quite confident I shared U+266D, E, F more than once too !)
Nice to know it solved your issue :slight_smile: