Shift-Select ONLY chord symbols

Hi Dorico team and community,
disclaimer first: I like the architecture of global chord symbols and know why they are not selected in normal range selections - I’m fine with that.

Anyways, I’d like a special behaviour: If only chord symbols are selected and I shift-click on another one, Dorico should select all chord symbols in between and nothing else. What do you think?

I think selecting anything else in between except the things I clicked on is quite awkward, but that is what it currently should do if it was consequent, IMHO. Actually it simply ignores shift-clicks on chord symbols if only chord symbols selected before, but that’s not helpful either.

Editing chord symbols would benefit a lot from a useful range selection. And yes, it might be possible now (lasso or system track selection with filters) but I think it’s not as fast and easy as I got used to in Dorico.

I’d like to know what you think of this idea!

1 Like

Have you tried Select More, Ctrl-Shift-A? It’s not exactly what you’re asking for, but it’s handy for selecting chord symbols.

Hi Dan, thanks for the suggestion. “Select More” is handy sometimes, but I don’t really like it because it isn’t always predictable and not very precise (what editing is all about)… on some chord symbols it won’t select more than the bar if pressed multiple times, after selecting one line (which sometimes makes sense musically, sometimes not) it goes on to the whole player, if multiple chord symbols are selected, the selection won’t extend at all (maybe selecting some lines by selecting one object in each would speed up some process).

I agree, this is logical and would be a great feature to have. I also wanted to point out that while Select More works for chords (sometimes), Select to End of Flow does not, which honestly just seems like a bug. I’ve been trying to train myself to never use Select More as it has screwed me with off-screen tuplets more times than I can count, so I’ve been trying to only use Select to End of Flow in those situations which will select tuplets, but unfortunately not chords.

Anyway, in the meantime, I’ve created a keycommand to filter chord symbols, so that’s really only one more click if Select More isn’t working for you. Select the region you want by whatever method, apply the keycommand, and you have the chords selected.