Shortcut to switch between pencil & eraser ?

Hi folks !
I’m suddenly unable to switch from the pencil tool to the eraser tool in the midi edit window with a shortcut. As i just ended a long time work on pro tools, maybe my memory plays on me tricks, but i’m pretty certain i did it in the past. Any idea ? :slight_smile:

I can’t find a way of switching tools by using a modifier key, as in Pro Tools.

The number keys (not number pad) can be used:
1 Pencil Tool
5 Erase Tool

These shortcuts could be changed to two adjacent keys for extra speed.

See if what you want is in …
preferences->Editing->Tool Modifiers

I was refering to a temporary switch with something like ctrl + alt, or Shift + ctrl + alt, something like that. Thats crazy, i’m pretty certain i had a shortcut to switch between arrow tool, pencil tool and eraser in the past. Multiplicity of projects drove me to be a daw wh*re (cubase, pro tools, samplitude, live…) and now that i’m back to my main tool, i’m lost ! Grrr… :mrgreen:

There is no modifier for the Pencil Tool. How can I add my own?

I’m using just the Object Selection tool. You can use the Pencil tool by Cmd press. And if I want to delete something, I jus select it by the tool, and press Delete. It’s the most efective way, for me.

Yes - using the alt key as a modifier is very useful in Pro Tools.

Another possible method:
Select a note with the pencil tool.
Press DELETE or BACKSPACE.
This is fast if the left hand is hovering over DELETE or BACKSPACE.
Unfortunately, multiple selection of notes does not work, because a new note is created.

Thanks JMCecil
There doesn’t seem to be an action for toggling Pencil/Eraser.
It would be very useful if Steinberg increased the number of Actions in Preferences/Editing/Tool Modifiers

+1 :mrgreen:
Over the years i learned multiple daws like pro tools, samplitude (use it since sek’d years), ableton live, sonar, etc, but something i never found elsewhere (than in cubase) is the ability to shorten / make longer the start or the end of a midi note with the ctrl + shift + alt keys. Something you can’t live without once you get it. Highway to productivity. Can’t believe other daw brands do not realize how fast it is to edit a midi part with that simple keys combination. In midi, cubase rules, and i truly believe with cubase 7 and the implementation of a full drag and drop architecture (and i hope a DECENT FREEZE with the ability to move frozen parts - grrr… request it for years !), cubase will be the best daw on the market. A clip based efx rack could also be a great improvement. (but i’m a little bit off topic… :laughing: )

Good idea, but:
alt key not cmd?

I don’t need to press ctrl + shift + alt keys.
I just move the Object Select Tool to the start or end of a note, and then the tool changes to the shorten/lengthen note icon.
Perhaps this only works on a Mac.

This is on Widows too.

Sorry, you are right, the Alt key is the right one.

For editing primarily with the range tool, it would be really great to have a modifier to temporarily switch to the select tool. Would be great for resizing events without extra commands/keystrokes.

Not being able to add “actions” to the tool modifier list has driven me a little nuts for a while now.

How about editable tool modifiers as a feature request?

Chewy

Modifiers are editable. Check Preferences > Tool Modifiers. Lots of options, here. :wink: