Shortcuts for color notes really needed (wished)

I often get arrangements from students.

1. I suggest other solutions and write then into the score.
  2. And select them and
  3. Ctrl 8 ór bottom window and
  4. push the button for color-option at the left
  5. and push one more button for getting the colors
  6. and choose red because my solution IS better :slight_smile:
  7. and Ctrl 8 to close the lower window.

I cannot find any shortcut for coloring text or notes .
Or - even better - Wish I could right-click on a note and choose an option: color

Of course I also write some explaining text .

Thanks for the fantastic program. My composer-student writes in Finale. No problems with the XML-exchange.

Yours Arne Dich

Thanks for the feedback, Arne. I’ll make a note of this need and perhaps add a command that can apply the colour property with a chosen colour in one go, as you’d then be able to add a custom key command (by hand) to the JSON key commands file.

2 Likes

He can do this already, if he doesn’t mind editing the json file. Just add

to the kGlobal context, using whatever hex color and whatever shortcut he wants.

3 Likes

An alternative method that requires a bit of setup effort but hopefully little after that is to create a custom notehead set with red noteheads, save it as default, assign a key command for applying it to selected notes - and then use wherever needed!

If you do do that, be aware of the note in step 7 of that linked topic - editing a notehead that appears in multiple notehead sets affects its appearance in all sets, so make sure you’ve added new noteheads that only appear in your custom notehead set.

2 Likes

Thank you very much.

Thanks. I’ll try this…

No, sorry. The json hack is just for adding a shortcut for a specific color, although you could certainly assign different shortcuts for different colors. Leo made a good walkthrough on how to do a json edit in this thread:

2 Likes

Is it possible to add JSON to make a keyboard shortcut to set the alpha transparency to zero? I use this constantly to make blank noteheads, and the steps to do this with the colour dialog rapidly become very tiresome. [And no, don’t start on making a blank notehead set - after a week of effort in that I totally corrupted and destroyed not only my project but Dorico as well, incredible and impossible though that sounds!!]

Yes! I use that often too so I already had it set up:

2 Likes

If you need some additionnal shortcut you can create your own script and it goes very fast
You can create multiple script.
I do that and it s top

I added this:

{
     "UI.InvokePropertyChangeValue?Type=kEventColour&Value=string: #00000000" : [ "Ctrl+Alt+H" ]
    },

with the file needing to be edited as Administrator. But it does not work - the key command has no effect at all. Why would that be?

The file is keycommands.json.

I might be wrong, but the name of your file strikes me : my keycommands files have a “_fr” after keycommands (because I use a French keyboard layout". And all my shortcuts are in my user library (which should not require admin rights, unless I am mistaken). Are you hacking the app’s file instead of the user file? That could be a problem when Dorico gets updated.

@MarcLarcher That would be right! Where are the user files?

I created a script for this that I renamed to always keep it and there is no problem.
After there is the keyboard shortcut to execute the last script

Aha! In %APPADATA% under the Steinberg dir. There’s the keycommands_en.json file, with just a few commands I set in the app. All good!

I’m interested to know how you did it for my videos.
If you can show me the procedure or explain how to do it.