Should I Cross grade to Dorico?

I used the EWQL installation center for the update, you could try that.
B.

I hear it has been pulled, but will be back early next week.

Great post Claude; I agree with you and nothing more I can add.

Thank you.

Excellent post, Claude. I also learnt a new word: celerity!

You can always count on a non-native speaker to use words that are fancier than necessary! :wink:

Well I’m impressed either way, Claude!

I love celerity, it’s delicious and adds crispness to a salad. :unamused:

I was a little leery too. I used the trial and was a little troubled because I was having difficulty accomplishing my goals, however as I look back this was much, much more a “me” issue than a program issue. I simply didn’t know how to accomplish my goals within a totally different framework.

I’m so used to pressing a button for one-click functionality of certain things… Dorico is more powerful than it looks on the surface level but certain things just have to be worked differently until those one-press features are fully baked in. To be clear, I do not think that the lack of one-press features for complicated functions is necessarily a bad thing. It is simply different. There are other very complicated things that Dorico makes very easy that are a royal pain in other programs.

Getting mad at the Dorico team is a little like being mad at Toyota because they don’t offer Fords features yet. Yes, more things need to be baked in as certain features are “standard,” but they have also released two (three?) maintenance upgrades in a few short months since their initial release and each one has made the program both better and more expansive. They have publicly expressed their intent to continue this trend insofar as is reasonable.

I’ve since purchased the crossgrade and I do not regret it in the slightest (especially knowing a few more maintenance updates are on the way). I have produced a very satisfactory piano/vocal score. It is not “perfect-perfect” but it is very, very nice. The default output of this program is miles ahead of Sibelius. I was having some major spacing issues (accidentals-UGH!) in Sibelius and things just “look right” in Dorico. While I may not have some of the features to adjust individual notes just as I want yet, I know it’s coming and the Dorico version still looks better than the Sibelius even after some heavy tweaking in Sibelius.

I think the real genius of Dorico (which has yet to show its full potential) is the engine behind how it “thinks” about music. This is so much more profound (think the Bach multi-voice examples Daniel has shown before, or its ability to intelligently and properly render the same musical data in a totally different time signature!) that once all of the other specific features are added in, Dorico will be awfully hard to beat. You cant expect a new program to compete with something nearing 3 decades old. At least not out of the gate. And yet Dorico still is very close to doing just that. These engineers seriously deserve a pat on the back. Music is SO COMPLEX. They have done an awfully good job.

I disagree with those that say that this is not ready to be considered a “professional” program. Some on the forum have posted about professional work they have already done. There is one particularly impressive post by someone who arranged over 20 charts into one file as individual flows and printed all the parts for a reduced orchestra. He was able to provide a reduced ensemble full scores and parts in a quick and professional manner, all managed by the genius of Dorico. He admits the process wasn’t perfect (no one claims Dorico is perfect yet) but was great nonetheless.

I am wholly in the Dorico camp now and am very excited to see what comes. Features like the page layout options, text and music frames (with professional typography controls!) are things that I will never want to go without again!