Show a whole rest in a 3/4 measure when... okay, it's complicated

See the attached image for an indication of what I’m trying to do. I’d love those three quarter rests to be a whole rest.

(Those eighth notes are just timpani tuning indications and shouldn’t have any rhythmic weight.)

Help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
Screen Shot 2018-11-13 at 12.55.12 PM.png

I’d recommend clearing the entire measure and entering those timp tunings as a cue. It’ll look much better!

Add a timpani instrument and call it “timpani cue.” Hide it from all layouts and just use it for cueing. You can hide the cue name.

Make sure the caret is in Voice 1, open up the Bar popover and type rest. Voilà.

That’s even better. I forgot about the bar rest popover…

I originally did do it as a cue, but realized that I would then either have to show all cues in the score, or else omit the timpani tunings from the score.

I’ll give the carrot-voice-1 technique a shot!

Victory! Thanks very much.

Luis already solved your issue, but I’m curious as to what you mean here. Cues are not an all-or-nothing thing; you can add them as needed.

Luis already solved your issue, but I’m curious as to what you mean here. Cues are not an all-or-nothing thing; you can add them as needed.

If I understand correctly, a score can opt to display all cues (“cues” in the Dorico 1.2-and-later sense, not in the sense of notes that happened to be cue-sized) or hide them all. I generally don’t want instrumental cues visible in my score, but I do want timpani tunings visible. Hence the idea of implementing Timpani tunings by cueing an unseen staff called “Timpani tunings” has undesired side-effects.

Of course I could create additional flows for the first measures of each movement and give them their own rules, but I take a dim view of the extra labor involved in this workaround.

I don’t know about Dorico 1.x, but in Dorico 2, cues don’t work that way. Show them when you want them, and only when you want them.

Dear Dan,
I think the OP refers to the option in the Layout options that allows cues to show or not. By default, the full score does NOT show them, and the parts do show. Once you decide that they show, how can you show only timpani tunings? I guess you need to fake those with cued size notes as you have understood. Not sure it is really a workaround, as cues have a different function — it would be a workaround to a workaround… Does this kind of thing exist? Anyway, happy to know you found your way :wink:

Michael,

Could you do this with an Ossia staff and stemless notes? Just an idea. In this example, I used 8th notes (so they were closer together), then did Edit > Remove Rests.
Screen Shot 2018-11-14 at 10.33.17 AM.png