Show contiguous empty bars as discrete bars?

Elements 3.5
I’m trying to do something very simple: I want to create a new score for piano, and the very first thing I want to do is record MIDI, live. So, I’ve created some empty bars, and they show in a condensed manner - a single physical bar, with the number of empty bars shown numerically.
When I click on the rest, and try to record, nothing happens.
When I activate the caret, I can record, but it does not perform stave splitting, and that applies even if I extend the caret to the other stave.

The only way I have found that works is to manually insert an item, then select that item, and THEN record, but that’s absurd.

Is there a way to have Dorico show the contiguous empty bars as separate, normal bars, so I then have a tangible item to select in the first bar? (a proper rest)

Is it actually a bug that I can’t select the “extended” rest, and then record?

Where in the documentation is this condensed form of empty bar display mentioned? I can’t find it mentioned anywhere!

You sound as if you are using a part layout. A score layout will likely not have multi-measure rests specified in its Layout Options; in fact, you can set any layout not to use multi-measure rests in its Layout Options.

But the simplest thing to do may be to record in Galley view rather than Page view. IIRC Galley view never shows multi-measure rests.

With the default options, the full score will show individual bar rests but the parts will show multi-bar rests. So record into the score layout, not the parts layout.

If you want to change this, go to Layout Options / Players / Bar Rests and Multi-bar Rests.

Galley view shows rests using whatever option is selected for the layout. So Galley view for a part will show multi-bar rests by default.

Thanks - I am indeed using a Part layout. I had tried Galley view, and as Rob said, it still showed the extended rest.
Sorry - I must have glossed over the relevant part of the docs. Maybe consider briefly mentioning the extended rests in the section that describes how to add bars? (I did read that section)
Btw, I think the free version will probably be sufficient - not sure why I went for the Elements trial - just need voice + piano.

Also, why not allow the extended rest to be selected for live recording? Isn’t it reasonable to assume that if the user does that, they want to start recording at the beginning of that rest?
Again - is this a bug?

If what you are saying is that you want to start recording (live) on the first beat of measure 1, there is a count-off option, at least in some versions of the program. Are you perhaps trying to record during the count-off?

A multi-rest isn’t an “object” that you can select. It is just a short hand notation.

You can’t select multi-rests for any purpose. You can’t copy and paste them, for example.

That is the way the program is designed. There are other things you can’t select as well - for example you can’t select an individual sharp or flat in a key signature.

It could arguably make sense to be able to do that. If you want to change an E flat major key signature to B flat major, why not select the Ab in the key signature and press delete? That’s how you would do it with pencil and paper, but it’s not how Dorico works!

Ok. The multi-rest appears to able to be selected though - when I click on it, it highlights - it appears that I have “selected” it. Very confusing.
I still find the behaviour odd. I can click on a whole-note rest, and then record, and the system assumes I want to record at the start of that rest. I.e - I have NOT chosen a precise moment in time - Dorico has. In the case of a multi-rest, which represents N bars of time, the system lets me click on it, highlight it, but doesn’t allow recording. It’s illogical IMHO.

I understand the confusion regarding multi-rests. As far as I know, the only purpose of it being highlighted is that, by pressing Enter or Shift-N, you can begin note input at the start of that multi-rest. (or you can input another sort of item via the popover)

Well that illustrates the inconsistency! If we can start note input, why not allow recording?
I can click on a whole-note rest, and then record, and the system assumes I want to record at the start of that rest. I.e - I have NOT chosen a precise moment in time - Dorico has. In the case of a multi-rest, which represents N bars of time, the system lets me click on it, highlight it, but doesn’t allow recording. It’s illogical IMHO.

I’m not disagreeing. MIDI recording in Dorico is constantly in development. It may seem inconsistent, but there’s certainly an underlying reason that has to do with how the program is interpreting different elements in the score.

Have you tried entering note input, THEN starting MIDI recording? Easy solution.

I’ve already said I had tried that. It works, but doesn’t do stave splitting, EVEN IF I extend the caret.
Re the “underlying reason” - I’m interested to know what that reason is. I still consider this behaviour to be a bug. :wink:

It’s a pretty trivial issue though - I agree. Now that I know that I can easily show the bars discretely, I can proceed. I just think it’s a shame that I can’t leave the display as is - I LIKE the compactness of the multi-rest.

Perhaps you will save time if you just learn to use the program as it is rather than trying to superimpose your own logic on it.

The manual warns that if you invoke the caret before recording, stave splitting won’t work, ergo it’s working as designed and isn’t a bug.

Yes - I was aware of that information in the manual, however I had not read that before attempting to record in both staves by extending the caret. Why doesn’t it allow that? And why does it allow recording AT ALL if the caret has been extended? It should either not record at all, or at least display a warning.

Regarding saving time by learning the product as it is - suggestion ignored.

That’s OK. But note that we can also ignore any future questions you ask here :sunglasses:

I haven’t the foggiest idea “why”. I know that it works the way it does, and it’s not difficult to do what I want it to do with the knowledge that it works the way it does. Despite your first impressions, a huge amount of thought has gone into most functionality in Dorico, in the minds of a team that have over 100 combined years’ experience developing notation software. On the whole I trust them to do their jobs properly, and I try not to ask “why” too often - usually the answer is something technical that goes over my head.

Constructive criticism is valuable, but shouting won’t get you far.

(i.e - if you don’t want us to be able to record into multiple staves in note input mode, then don’t mislead us by allowing recording to be invoked when the caret is extended - not without a warning).