Shrinking Cubase Objects on Large Monitor

I purchased a 40" (television) 1080p LCD monitor for my system and have maxed out the Windows screen resolution setting at 1920 x 1080. I was originally using two screens and was hoping to gain some more visual real estate. Now everything appears larger - that’s for sure! The size of the windows (and everything else in Cubase) is still pretty large. I’d really like to shrink them a bit more, to fit more on the screen. As a reference, I can only fit 21 channels of faders across the screen. It would be nice to shrink everything down to where I can fit, say, 32 fader channels (approximately).

I found the DPI setting and adjusted that to 80% of the default 96 DPI. The fonts certainly appeared smaller. However, Cubase window objects did not change at all.

I am aware that there are “computer monitors” available with higher resolution… at a heftier price tag, but surely there’s a less expensive way to manipulate what I’m seeing. Has anyone found a way around this problem?

Thanks

Unless there’s a way to resize the GUI objects (fader width, etc) in Cubase, there is no solution.

(I can’t seem to find a way in the manual)

I think Cubase uses fixed pixel size GUI objects.

Out of curiosity, what resolution were your old monitors?

1920x1080 (HD TV resolution) is just that, regardless of how big a monitor or TV might be, for more screen real estate you need more pixels, your best bet is for multiple monitors. As you can see from my sig I use 3. Two 24" mounted vertically so I can have the speakers positioned closer together and one 19" on the left, out side the main speaker axis for stuff I don’t want in the middle.

Shinta,

FYI, my previous monitors were only 17" each. The resolution was set somewhere around 1280 x 800 pixels or so.

I have the present resolution set to 1920 x 1080 (as stated above).

I just thought maybe someone would have a software application that could “cheat” the system by drawing the objects smaller, which would presumably mean fuzzier, but it would certainly be worth a shot to try something like that out.

Just found the following web page where someone “fooled” their computer …

Has anyone else out here attempted anything like this before?

He’s on a 27 inch monitor (can tell by the display model number), which would have the higher display resolution natively.
He just tricked the video driver to be able to send the resolution down an HDMI cable (which normally would only support 1080p max).

You can’t do that.

Your TV has 1920 physical pixels across and 1080 physical pixels down (it’s native resolution).
(This is also why resolutions lower than a LCD’s native resolution look blocky)
If you manage to bump the resolution above 1080p, your TV will not be able to display the entire image at once.
You’d basically have to “scroll” your screen.

Example (I’ll use the resolution in the example you gave):
You manage to fool your TV into displaying 2560x1440.
Your TV (only being able to physically display 1920 pixels across) would not show the extra 640 pixels.
You’d have to “scroll” your screen to see the extra pixels.

However, TV’s are pretty particular about what resolutions they can even read.
If a TV gets a resolution greater than it’s native resolution, it usually (depending on the TV) won’t display anything.

that’s why we have computer monitors and don’t use TV’s :smiley:

I use a 30 inch 2560 x 1600 monitor and a 24 1900x 1200 for that very reason.

MC

Yup, hes using a Dell monitor that has a native resolution of 2560 x 1440 and cost about £450 each! (which is not bad for a monitor of that res)

The reality of the situation is that the majority of affordable monitors now come with 1920 x 1080 as standard. Never used to be like that with CRT’s. IMHO multiple monitors is the way forward.

I use a 32" TV (1080p) as a computer “monitor”. I like how much larger things appear than on a smaller (let’s say 23") display. Granted, I could just sit closer to the 23", but…

More of them are ditching the VGA connector as well and going with a completely digital (DVI, HDMI, or Display Port) interface.
When you think about them, it’s a larger market. These monitors equipped with HDMI don’t have to be “just” computer monitors. Think desktop TVs.

Ah the good old days when you could use a refresh rate other than (usually today) 60 Hz (50 Hz for non North American locales).

And Europe!

I would think Europe would be included in a “non North American locale”.

And I can’t forget about degaussing. :slight_smile: Loved to see that screen spaz out. :smiling_imp:

it’s a Dell 30 yes but the resolution is 2560 x 1900 not 1440.

I wish they were only £450…try £1000 :slight_smile:

http://www.google.co.uk/products/catalog?hl=en&pq=dell+24+ultrasharp&cp=7&gs_id=x&xhr=t&q=dell+30+ultrasharp&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.r_cp.r_qf.,cf.osb&biw=1270&bih=628&um=1&ie=UTF-8&tbm=shop&cid=10592609038970421141&sa=X&ei=-tCwT8zKKMj98gOPktSuCQ&sqi=2&ved=0CKwBEPMCMAE

it’s the same panel as the Apple 30 cinema display.

MC

Ah… I missed the non bit :mrgreen:

Or the headache inducing of a low refresh rate :laughing:

The U2711 (the one in OP’s link) is 27".

I’ve seen them (the 30", on sale) go down to about $800 CAD.
Dell monitors (the top of the line ones) are EXPENSIVE.

http://www.google.co.uk/products/catalog?q=U2711&hl=en&safe=off&rls=com.microsoft:en-gb:IE-ContextMenu&rlz=1I7SUNC_enGB357&prmd=imvnsl&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.r_qf.,cf.osb&biw=1600&bih=760&wrapid=tlif133698810158610&um=1&ie=UTF-8&tbm=shop&cid=12757278675975115117&sa=X&ei=LtKwT4DiLYfi8AO99e3DCQ&ved=0CGIQ8wIwAQ#

Dell U2711 27" £465

Our power’s 60 Hz over here (at least Canada and the US, don’t know about Mexico and the other countries south of the US).

I think what I’m looking for is an emulator app that will emulate, say 2560 x 1440 on HDMI format. (I’d settle for less; that seems like a stretch.)

Actually, there’s someone out there who has already sent 1920 x 1200 to the HDMI screen - of course, that wasn’t much of a change, but if it can be changed at all, you’d think it could be tweaked a little more.

Yes I understand about the number of native pixels in an HDTV. But you’d think by now that some slick little 3rd party app (like those on cnet) would have been conjured up by now … people are hacking things like this all the time.

Yes but you pay all that money for a crystal sharp display then go and ruin it with a hack. these monitors like to run at the native resolution, trying to squeeze more res out of them is going to severely reduce the picture quality.

Yeah and 110v, trying to make up for low power transfer efficiency. :smiley:

Doh!! thought you were talking about me.

MC