Sidechain compression and VST3 in Cubase AI

Hi…

My Cubase version is AI 4.5 and I know from a comparison chart that it doesn’t have built-in sidechain inputs. I also have FabFilter Pro-C compressor with external sidechain which is a VST3 plug-in. When I am trying to set up the routing its sidechain input doesn’t appear in the mixer’s menu. I thought that in VST3 format the plug-in was supposed to create something like a virtual bus however it doesn’t happen. Is it supposed to be like that?

You answered your own question…

No not really… But thank you for responding. I was told that a VST3 format plug-in input should appear in the menu regardless of that. That was my question.

Well, maybe you should ask the one who told you that, obviously he knows more. But since you can´t even activate this input or bus in Cubase Essential, it will not show up anywhere…

Are you saying the plug itself doesn’t show up or just the sidechain features? If the plug, you don’t have it in the correct folder. If sidechain, then you have answered yourself as it isn’t supported in AI.

The plug-in shows up but the sidechain input does not. So the one who told me that probably didn’t know that much. Nevertheless it is possible to sidechain in Cubase AI using a plug-in from TC Works. The compressor is triggered by a utility called Sidechainer. But now when I was testing it another problem appeared:

I inserted an audio file with a flute pad on a track and notised that every time the loop starts playing a click is heard. I tried to move the locators forward and tried to move the audio file inside the brackets and I tried to set it up in such a way that the loop starts playing from silence but couldn’t get rid of the click.

Then I replaced the sample with another pad and there was the same click in the beginning again. Some files also crackle like an old vinyl and I know for sure they are clean. The most interesting is that with a different kind of material it doesn’t happen: I tried a few drum loops and speech samples and they all played smoothly without the clicks. I have no idea what that means and how to fix it…

There’s a video at youtube on how to sidechain in SX3 that may help you with that.

Open the loop in the Sample Editor and see if the very beginning is at a zero crossing. If not, enable Snap To Zero Crossing and clip it near one.