Signal Generator Questions

Hi guys,

I’ve been spending some time today playing with the Signal Generator. Essentially using it to make a layerd series of harmonic tones, which I turn into kick drums by multiple applications of +12 to -12 pitch bend curve. Well that’s the intention.

There are a few waveform available, most of which i know. But could somebody explain the differences between the different sine wave ones. I guess each has different math generating it?

Also which waves forms work with the phase angle? If I do Sine with Sine it dose not seem to make a difference, but if I do Sine and Sine (Rectified) it dose. I think (it could just be the difference between the 2 types of sine)

Not much info in the Manual, and cant fine info here or via google.

Many Thanks

Ben

But could somebody explain the differences between the different sine wave ones. I guess each has different math generating it?

Generate some and zoom to see what it looks like. I couldn’t give you a better explanation than what you would see.

If I do Sine with Sine it dose not seem to make a difference

Yes it does. Again, zoom, but this time at the very beginning of the generated file.

Hi Philippe,

Thank you I been playing for hours with it and getting to know the forms now. I think some wave shape drawings in the manual would not be a bad addition however as a kick starter.

Ok so the phase dose change the start point of the wave form on one layer. But if I load the default preset. copy and paste it in to layer 2, and set layer 2 to phase 180. I would expect them to cancel out and result in silence. They dont. Perhaps I am not understanding how the layers interact?

Ben

Ok so the phase dose change the start point of the wave form on one layer. But if I load the default preset. copy and paste it in to layer 2, and set layer 2 to phase 180. I would expect them to cancel out and result in silence. They dont.

Yes, they cancel out. Just verified. Recheck your procedure.

My apologies, I just rechecked they do indeed. However what I have released is the difference, They only cancel out when the global gain is 0 try setting it to -1.00 They should still cancel out no?

They only cancel out when the global gain is 0 try setting it to -1.00

Cancellation happens when both sines have the same level (and with a phase ±180°), else you will see just a gain reduction.

Ok, I expected the globe gain control to take place after the cancellation. Ie the generator makes and mixes the wavesforms they cancel out and then globel gain is applied to this output. In this case it would have nothing to turn down. It seems that’s not how the globel gain is applied?

Ok, I expected the globe gain control to take place after the cancellation

You are right. And here there is a bug indeed.

Philippe

Hi Philippe,

Thank you for confirming, I hope the fix is not too difficult to implement. iI look forwards to seeing it in a future update.

Thank you for personaly taking the time to replay and to stick with me while I worked through explaining my finding.

Have a great day.

Many thanks

Ben

Thank you for confirming, I hope the fix is not too difficult to implement. iI look forwards to seeing it in a future update

I come back to my earlier answer. I can’t find a bug. The global gain is a layer setting. IOW, it is independent for each layer, before all layers are mixed together.