Signal path question

Signal path question

I have a really basic question.
I have a mic Signal, it goes to my audio interface, which goes to stereo in, to pregain, to eq, to prefader inserts, to channel strip, to Fader, to post fader inserts…

Allowing that somethings can be switched around, do I have that basically correct?
Ok.

Now,
At what point does the signal get printed to a track?
In other words where is the virtual reel to reel in this scheme?

What can be changed in the mix, and what is written permanently?

Thanks for helping a beginner.

After the “Stereo In” it is recorded to the track. Every thing from “Pregain” and after will not affect the raw audio unless you ‘render’ it. (excuse me for not using the correct Cubase term.

Thank you very much.
That makes perfect sense now that I think about it, as it allows for maximum flexibility.

Actually this is not really clear…

There are two parts involved… you have input buses that have inserts that can be printed to the track as well. Everything whats sent to the audio track gets printed and everything what is changed on that track is playback/monitoring only.

Have a look on the manual:

This is very clear that what goes out of an input channel is what will be recorded to the track.

St10ss,
I checked out your link:

Audio Recording

You can record audio using any of the basic recording methods.

When you finish recording, an audio file is created in the Audio folder within the project folder. In the Pool, an audio clip is created for the audio file, and an audio event that plays the whole clip appears on the recording track. Finally, a waveform image is calculated for the audio event. If the recording was very long, this may take a while.

Note

The waveform image is calculated and displayed during the actual recording process. This real-time calculation uses some processing power. If your processor is slow or if you are working on a CPU-intensive project, deactivate Create Audio Images during Record in the Preferences dialog (Record—Audio page).

I don’t see how this addresses my question.
Is there anything in the manual about what is printed to the track and what isn’t?

I suppose the question could be settled through some experimentation, but I was hoping there might be a definitive answer somewhere.

Did you read the whole chapter? Or only that one page…

Everything done in the input channel is printed.

Fair enough.
I will read The whole chapter.

Is this the relevant section?

# Recording and Effects

Cubase allows you to add effects and/or EQ directly while recording. This is done by adding insert effects and/or making EQ settings for the input channel in the MixConsole.

Important:
If you record with effects, the effects become part of the audio file itself. You cannot change the effect settings after recording.

What is meant by "input channel?
Is that the “stereo In” of the left most fader, or some part of the signal path of the destination track?

The above quoted passage mentions only insert effects and EQ settings, in the first part, but then says “if you record with effects, the effects become part of the audio file itself,” which sounds like they’re talking about effects in general. This leaves me wondering about send effects, and the channel strip.

:man_facepalming:

What don’t you understand here ?

The input channels are the channels corresponding to your physical inputs and are called Mono or Stereo In. What goes out of the input channel is what will be recorded to your track. Period.
This can’t be more simple than that. Do you want a whole dissertation about input channels or is this enough ?

1 Like

Cubase uses some concepts to enable special use cases.
One is the use of dedicated channel strips for inputs.
This makes it possible to insert plugins (amp simulations) or use channel processing (filters or EQ) before the signal gets recorded.
These channels are named “Input Channels” and have no representation in the project window. There are only visible in the mixer.
They have no solo, no record and no monitor button.

effects…plugins… amp simulation whatever you call it…

Louis R and st10ss,

Thanks for clearing this up,
And sorry for any exasperation I may have caused.

You’ve been a big help to me.