'sim.' instruction for piano pedalling

Hello,

I’m arranging a piece for piano where the sustain pedal reliably and repeatedly is down for one bar at a time. How should I enter a ‘sim.’ instruction after showing the pedalling in the first bar, and will this be recognised in playback?

Thanks

(V3.1.10.1032)

You can enter it as text or as a playing technique, but there’s not presently a way to make that be reflected in playback.

Here is a slightly different question - when I enter “sim.” as text, the text is always a little bigger than the Dynamic Music Text font, even though I have them both set to 10.0 (Playing Technique font is 11.0). Maybe I’m making a simple mistake?

sim-fragment.png
sim-fragment.dorico.zip (626 KB)

If your “sim” is in relation to dynamics, you could input it as a dynamic “mf sim.” then hide the mf. If it’s in relation to “pizz/arco”, you can give playing techniques duration then change their continuation type to “sim”.

There’s no way for that instruction to be recognised consistently in playback, but I guess you can use a (or two consecutive) hidden Playing techniques which controls the CC 64 for every bar, and hide them. Or just draw the CC 64 manually in Play mode. But of course, this might be laborious, depending on the length of the piece.

If your “sim” is in relation to dynamics, you could input it as a dynamic “mf sim.” then hide the mf. If it’s in relation to “pizz/arco”, you can give playing techniques duration then change their continuation type to “sim”.

That’s fantastic, thank you!

Thank you, everyone! It seems the ‘sim continuation’ setting in the properties panel does not work, so I put it in as text as suggested - I assume this is a known issue. I suppose getting Dorico to decipher a ‘sim.’ instruction as a human musician would and play back accordingly would really be pushing the AI…

Are you sure that your pt has duration (when you select it, is there a continuation line?)