Simple Audio Card Question

Hi,

Wondering if anyone can help clarify some details

When we load cubase it takes control of our audio card, meaning we cannot listen to anything outside cubase unless we check the background box in devices which lets us listen when we have cubase minimised.

Is there any setting or way we can let cubase run as normal, and have apps such as youtube, spotify etc run in the background and be audible at the same time?

Well I suppose there might be but wouldn’t that be like having 2 televisions on.

It actually depends on your audio interface. The better ones let you use the audio from all the applications you have launched at the same time. Think RME for good examples of that.

You can with the Asio4all driver.
You can with multiple audio cards in a system, but you should be able to switch on a “mix” setting and use that as an input to get the online signals into cubase.
An other option when using more then one audiocard is to use the return channels of the asio driver card to connect the signal into cubase.

kind regards,
R.

if you have onboard sound set that as default in winders audio…your audio card and onboard should work at same time i think or asio4all as previously suggested. steinberg did have an experimental multiclient asio driver a few years ago that they didnt develop further that may be a solution too ive never tried it. im assuming you want to jam to streaming media from net while in cubase? the easiest way would be to capture the stream media and open it in cubase.

cheers

DL

Get a multi client soundcard. ASIO4 ALL will work, but the latency it produces makes it no use for live playing.

DG

Hi Chris

The most important thing to know is what sound card are you using? I use a Steinberg UR824 on one machine and a small Steinberg C1 on the other and both are able to have Cubase loaded and play using the ASIO driver, then if I switch(Alt Tab) to Soundforge, that will play using the Classic Wave driver or the Microsoft Sound Mapper and it’s easy to go between the two, use it all the time.

Best Regards

Dave

Hello,

actually it is not really important which sound card one uses.

All you have to do (on windows at least… don’t really know if this can be done on OSX) is to open the Windows Control Panel, click on “Sound”, select your default device on Playback and click on Properties. Under “advanced” remove the check from the option “Allow applications to take exclusive control of this device” and that’s it.

Then you will be able to have

2 televisions on

quoting airflamesred.

Regards

That option on my desktop is checked and yet my RME UFX is still fully multi-client. Same with my Babyface on the laptop.

Hi,

that’s why I said

remove the check from the option

Regards

Like I said, on my machines that option is checked (as in check is NOT removed), and yet my RME devices are still fully multi-client.

Hello,

Well in that case the interface used is also relevant. But that works for all other interfaces.

Regards

What I meant is that if you don’t have a multi-client interface, just unchecking that option is no guarantee that things will work smoothly. If your interface isn’t multi-client, removing that option may result in instability and ultimately crashes.