Simple guide for making a drumkits work in Dorico ?

I am trying to find the drum mapping, but Toon Track says I have to have a login to view the manual.

Robby

Here’s another thought I had. Did you follow that drum notation example exactly when you set up your drum kit?

Robby

When it comes to your hi-hat… and the thought I had above

Here is a video… did you set up your hi-hat like this? If so, at around 0:58 into the video, I am switching between open and closed hi-hat using the Alt Key + up/down arrow.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1bQ2zQOp6qTpygvDOviWePrNaDchvyAPC/view?usp=sharing

Robby

Thanks for your time but this has proven to be a VERY time consuming experience.

I spent well over a work week getting absolutely nowhere with drum notation in Dorico and I need get back to my practice routine !

When Dorico update their way of handling drum notation and VSTi integration for musicians and not engineers I might get back and have another try at it !

Thank You so very much !

PS

How hard could it be to have a single setup page ( Instead of multiple setup pages ) for percussion instruments telling Dorico what instrument to play when a specific note is written !

Like this:
Staff line ? Plays MIDI note number ?

DS

Why make it a rocket science when it could be child play ?

Steinberg take notes ! :wink:

I’ve started mapping the modern drummer, check it here: GitHub - DoricoUserland/ni-komplete-modern-drummer

Currently covers kick, snare and hi-hat. I’ve got an issue with hi-hat normal playing technique which for some reason plays tightly closed tip.

Check the example project for use (for HH, you need to apply playing techniques). I’ll add documentation some time in the future :slight_smile:

I’ll cover more drums from the kit in the following days.

Could somebody check if the playing techniques / icons I’m using make sense? I have absolutely 0 experience with drums. Some are tricky, like Closed has two techniques, either tip or shank, so I used “Center+Choke” to indicate that (choke as lesser version of closed).

What could I use for Open Three-Quarters and Open Loose?

And any idea why the Natural doesn’t play midi 76 but 66??

This is one area that has FAR REACHING potential. And like anything that is different it will take time to learn and process. I hope that you don’t give up just yet.

What if you and I wanted to share a file, and I did not have Superior Drummer 3 (which I don’t)? We could still share the file, and I could still hear the music correctly if my percussion map for my drum set was set up correctly. We would not have to change the notes. Under the traditional percussion map, it might require me to completely re-input your music to hear it correctly. With the system Dorico has, it is far superior in the long run. Even if it takes some time to learn and understand in the beginning.

Robby

I do not own Abbey Road Modern Drummer, but I am working on a percussion map from the mapping that I found on their website. I should be done in the next week (not a real priority since I don’t own the samples). I will upload it to GitHub once I am completely for someone to test.

Robby

I’m certain Dorico as a software is terrific but it seems that no one knows exactly how it works regarding VST drum integration !
Non percussion instruments is a breeze to use with Dorico though !

VST instruments are triggered by MIDI note numbers and Dorico’s way to trigger those are a mystery that no one seems to know anything about.

It’s like fumbling in the dark to find things you know are there but that you cant see !

It’s really hit or miss if you get what you want !

Right now I am trying to get VDL ( Virtual Drum Line ) to work but are having similar problems with wrong instruments played by Dorico !

I saw a video that showed that VDL could play all sorts of drum articulations and since we have it here at school we loaded it and thought everything would run perfectly with the general MIDI kit !

What makes it even more confusing to work with it is that for some reason Dorico shows all notes one octave higher in the VSTs in the Drum Kit Note Map page ???

I have extensive time using VDL, and I have run into VERY little issues using VDL with Dorico. There are a few things that require some tweaking, but nothing that has been so detrimental that I cannot use it. John Barron did a great job creating the VDL template. Are you using the template that John Barron from the Dorico Team created?

There might still be a few bugs with percussion mappings, but I can tell you that I personally created close to 15 or 20 (some very large 50+ notes, some small 5-6 notes each). I have run into little to no issues with 95% of these mapping playing the sounds I needed. It does take time to make sure everything is setup correctly. But if it is setup correctly, things run very smooth. Being a new way of “thinking”, requires a lot of checking and double checking. I still find myself making mistakes and having to fix those.

Dorico doesn’t show the notes one octave higher… that is a problem with MIDI. Since the inception of MIDI (someone correct me if I am wrong) there has always been a debate about whether you start with 0 or 1 in the numbering of octaves. Some MIDI setups will say C3 is middle C (lowest octave is 0 - C0, C1, C2, C3), some will say C4 (lowest octave is 1 - C1, C2, C3, C4). This “debate” has been going on for 30+ years. That is why it is best to use MIDI numbers… Middle C is MIDI note 60. Should there be a standard… probably. But to my knowledge this has never been agreed upon.

I am here if you need more help (so are many other people, including the Dorico team). But I will need a lot more screen shots, files, or both. If you would prefer to communicate through e-mail I can do that too. Just let me know.

Robby

Hi Robby,

can we work on this together? I’m creating a table of plugin’s sounds and how I currently map it in Dorico, please check it here.

Sample project is in the repository (where you should be able to change files, but that could get messy for xml) and I also added an mp3 so you can hear to what sounds the notes map.

As I said, I don’t really know much about percussion notation. I used this and some other resources I could find.

That said, Kick, Snare and Toms should be ok.

For Cymbals, instead of using note heads I used extra playing techniques - Centre for bell, Crush for edge and muffle for muffle. They sound ok, but I’m not clear how Dorico handles these symbols. It seems they are not linked to a note, but rather to a position in the percussion kit grid, which would mean they apply to all notes at that position? That is a problem if you have, eg. multiple cymbals.

Hi-hat will need some more work. The default playing techniques in the toolbox do not cover all capabilities of the vst, but I’m not sure how to define custom ones and share it with other users.

Please check my percussion kit, and project and let me know what to change? Thanks!

We certainly can work on this together. You have a lot done already I think.

I do not have time at the moment to look at much, but I will perhaps later this evening, or early next week (I have a full time that I must go to :frowning: ).

You should have my e-mail address from the GitHub request. Drop me an e-mail there, and we can work on this together.

Robby

I gave it another shot with VDL and most instruments work when inputting with a mouse but with a MIDI keyboard something is wrong ( See below )

A2 Crash Cymbal 2 OK
G2 Splash Cymbal OK
F#2 Tambourine OK
E2 China Cymbal OK
D#2 Ride Cymbal Tip 1 OK
High Tom plays B0 Bass Drum 1 ( With MIDI Keyboard input makes a Snare note (C) on the staff )
C#2 Crash Cymbal 1 OK
Mid Tom plays B0 Bass Drum 1 ( With MIDI Keyboard input makes a Snare note (C) on the staff )
A1 Low Tom ( Works with Stick Tip Technique ) ( With MIDI Keyboard input makes a Snare note (C) on the staff )
G#1 Pedal Hi Hat OK
G1 High Floor Tom OK
F#1 Closed Hi Hat OK
F1 Low Floor Tom OK
D1 Snare Drum OK
C1 Bass Drum 2 OK
B0 Bass Drum 1 OK

PS
I am using the General MIDI Percussion Map
I am not using John Barron template cause I want the traditional 5 line staff for all drums
DS

I’ve noticed that inputing notes or clicking on the notes tends to produce wrong sounds. Did you try to actually play the file?

John Barron’s Template uses traditional 5 lines staffs for the battery instruments.

Here is a score I am working on… that was working the last time I opened it. Now it seems that Dorico has erased all of my VDL instruments from Kontakt… I will mess with this after work.

Robby

Yes but I want all instruments on one 5 line staff
Not each instrument on a separate 5 line staff
The standard drumkit notation

Ok… I am confused. You are looking for the VDL drumset. I have the VDL drumset mapping setup. If you’d like I can send the map and a file.

Robby

Yes the General MIDI kit

Thanks

I really appreciate it !

Hmmmm ( See attached image !)

Exactly… I think you are not understanding… When it comes to MIDI octaves B0 (as your showed) and Dorico using B1… There is a long standing disagreement on the Octave numbering of middle C (MIDI note 60). The 3 main thoughts is that middle C (MIDI note 60) can be: C3, C4, or C5. I believe C5 is the least common one used. You happen to be using a software sample that follows the C3 as middle C, where Dorico is using the standard that C4 is middle C. This disagreement is over 30 years old. Your B0 is the same MIDI note number of Dorico’s B1.

You might find another MIDI interface that uses C5 as middle C (MIDI note 60). The octave numbering fiasco is something you have to understand about MIDI and the confusion using octave numbers. That is often why most people will refer to MIDI note numbers when this starts to get too complicated.

Here is link to look into this issue more. And the part to keep in mind… is that it depends on what octave numbering convention your MIDI software/hardware was programmed to follow.

I will send you my VDL drum set mapping soon. Something has happened… and 2 of the notes are messed up. The ride cymbal in particular. The mapping is 4 years old and I think some of the new stuff in Dorico maybe makes me have to change some things.

Robby

It would be a convenient feature for users if developers made it an option to change octave to whatever the user wants to avoid confusion when working with different products !

The same way some developers make you change where to start (at 0 or 1 in a measure )