Simple question - can I delay one channel of a stereo signal?

Hi guys

Very simple one from a Logic user… often I delay one side of a stereo channel to add some dimension to a part. I do this on Logic using the simple stock plugin called “sample delay”, which lets me delay either the left or right channel (or both) by whatever amount of time (in samples or ms) I wish. By adding 200 samples to the right channel for example, it can really make a part stand out.

So… keen to know if this can be done in Cubase, and if it’s simple.

Thanks guys!

Cheers
Mike

If you open channel edit and select routing edit you can limit the processing to one of the channels (left/right) - just feed the desired input to the fx and connect the other input directly with its corresponding output. OF course you have to insert a delay effect - the mono delay would be most appropriate for your purpose.

Alternatively you could use the stereo-delay plugin which allows different settings for the left and right stereo channel.

Cheers, Ernst

Thanks Ernst!

The stereo delay sounds like a good option.
Can that be used effectively the same way as I use sample delay in Logic?

Cheers
Mike

Depending on the software used:
Cubase „Mixer delay“, (which allows ms only IIRC) or voxengo „sample delay“. And certainly there are many other free fx.

[/quote]

Thanks Ernst!

The stereo delay sounds like a good option.
Can that be used effectively the same way as I use sample delay in Logic?

Cheers
Mike
[/quote]

Yes it can. I use the stereo delay for this all the time. Turn off the filters, set the mix to zero on the side that remains “in time.” Once you have it set up the way you want, save the preset as the default. It will now load with these settings already set up each time you load a new instance.

Yeah, mixer delay is probably the equivalent to sample delay in Logic. Just search it when adding an insert.