Simple Question for Mixing Experts

Hey Cubase users,

Simple question:

I have one track with an audio file on it, say a drumkit, at 0dB.
Another FX track with a Reverb set to 100% wet also at 0dB.

Now, when I do a 0dB send from the audio track to the FX Track I obviously hear both my dry and wet tracks.
Why is it, that there’s absolutely no difference in RMS and Peak Max Volume? Whether the FX Track is switched on or muted? I would expect at least a 3 to 6dB increase or something of the sort…
I just noticed this, it applies for almost all Reverbs. Sometimes though I do notice a very tiny but negligible difference in volume.
Please help me understand this :slight_smile:

THANKS IN ADVANCE

I guess the 0db you are talking about is just your fader setting…it isn’t any measurement of level because it’s dependent on the level of your recorded signal.

As it stands the level of reverb is way less than the original signal therefore it can’t increase the peak level or the RMS (in the case of RMS it may do, but it’s likely just too small a difference to notice.)

Now as to your misunderstood concept of level increase…if your drum track measured 0db on the meters and your reverb track measured 0db on the meters, this is when you would see something more like a 3 to 6db increase (2 identical signals gives 6db increase, anything else will be less) Of course this would also be clipping your output as it will be 6db over.

I’m not sure I agree with your summing rule. Wave forms (Audio) always sum. Either positive or negative. If a small amplitude wav is in phase with a big amplitude wav, there will be increase in peak.

Hm… for some reason I dont know this post is not in the thread I posted it!

My simple advice would be not to think about all this at all. Dont record too hot, no Need to do this in the digital world.

Kalibrate your System e.g. to K-System.

And from that listen … ears and brain. That works best.

Cheers, Ernst

I’m not sure I agree with your summing rule. Wave forms (Audio) always sum. Either positive or negative. If a small amplitude wav is in phase with a big amplitude wav, there will be increase in peak.

You are perfectly correct, it was not meant to come across as a “rule” … more that given the example of a standard reverb return the increase would be to all intents and purposes (& as the OP was experiencing), imperceptible or negligible.

As you say, all summing will add mathematicall to both peak and rms but any signal below around 50% of your current level isn’t adding enough you would notice just by listening or looking at channel meters…even with equal signals, let alone a reverb return.