Simple walkthroughs for DS al Coda, plus question

Today’s my first time doing a DS al Coda, and I have to say, it was tough to figure out in Dorico 3.5. I sort of got it, but not exactly what I wanted. I also want to mention that I spent a substantial amount of time in the manual and on this forum and still didn’t feel like I was able to find clear instructions – perhaps this warrants some s-p-e-l-l-i-n-g i-t o-u-t?

I successfully added my To Coda section, and my Coda section. They look great:

Screen Shot 2022-02-16 at 5.01.50 PM

Then it came time to add my D.S. symbol (the place I want to jump back to). I figured out how to do this by adding the “segno,” however, it’s tiny by comparison to the coda symbol in the previous screenshot. How do I make it bigger?

Screen Shot 2022-02-16 at 5.03.00 PM

Then came time to add the D.S. al Coda marking, which (in my experience) is always followed by the coda symbol. But I can’t figure out how to add the coda symbol:

Screen Shot 2022-02-16 at 5.03.33 PM

I did find references to a glyph chart, however, after considerable searching I could not find instructions on how to USE the glyph chart to add this manually.

I’ve now spent about 30 minutes just trying to get these tiny symbols right, so please humor my constant posting for things that the Dorico experts are thinking, “Isn’t it obvious?”

Properties Custom Scale

Not sure what you mean by this…

Engraving Options > Repeat Markers

DSalCoda

1 Like

(OP is on D3.5, but your point is well made)

1 Like

No differences on these options.

@janus: custom scale worked perfectly – thank you! Hadn’t seen that option there. 150% was what I was looking for. (Just wondering why the default is so tiny, and not consistent with the pre-built symbols in the other DS/DC/Coda elements.)

@Craig_f: glad to know these options are there, although in the second row of options, I don’t like any of those (and, though I’m willing to be corrected, don’t think I’ve ever seen them in print). I was hoping for this, which is not an available option (I mocked this up):

Screen Shot 2022-02-16 at 5.32.15 PM

2 Likes

I figured you might :wink: But, that’s what we have. The Custom text option doesn’t work as it uses Academico which doesn’t have the Coda symbol. If I find a solution, I’ll post here.

You can include music characters in a text object, even in D3:
Copy the desired glyph from the spec page, paste it in, and change its font to Music Text:

(This has been streamlined in 4.0, which includes a music character picker.)

Yes, I think that is the only option. Hide the DS marker and add system text.

Thanks very much to all of you. Glad to hear this has been improved in Dorico 4, which I’m sure I’ll upgrade to at some point!

Use MusGlyphs. It makes short work of this sort of thing.

Hi @Mark_Johnson, Can you point me to that music character picker in 4.0? I have not explored doing this very far. All info appreciated. Thanks.

This is somewhere where the v4 manual has been improved since v3.5: more relevant search terms :wink:

There are pointers towards the engraving options for their appearance at the bottom of this page, but perhaps something a bit more targeted is warranted. I’ve made a note.

@Craig_F Thank you, sir!