Simple Way, tune inspired by Brubeck/Update w/Wim on Sax

I listened to this especially as DB was mentioned, and liked it very much. Piano, bass and drums were deliciously recorded and played. In the first half I readied in my mind to a beginning Paul Desmond solo, even though I knew it was impossible, as the soundstage was perfectly fit for it . PD was of course unique.
Anyway, an alto sax solo would have made this piece still better (no tenor sax for Brubeck please). :sunglasses:

Drawbar love your screen name! I’m going to leave it all up to the player…Wim is great and I prefer him to hear whatever he hears as I like those that create w/o much input. I consider this a Brubeck tribute as he was in my heart, but I want to let it go where it may. (You maybe right but I’m done and he has my complete trust)

Wim helped me with this one. He played Bari; Tenor; Alto; Tenor in right speaker (keys tenor sample Left speaker) at intro; Soprano solo at end. Orch parts were written out but nothing else and he killed it! The other parts including all Clarinet and Bass Clarinet are keys on this,
http://vibedeck.com/kennyzarider/sensuous-you--2
Here is Wim’s web site in case you haven’t met him here, he plays everything
http://hornforhire.com/collabs.html
Thanks so much for listening can’t wait to hear your music

Wim sent me Sax files yesterday, I really want to thank him for his great work!
http://vibedeck.com/kennyzarider/simple-way

Very nice! Love the sax! The only thing I could suggest is to make a cleaner break on Wim’s solo. Sounds like he’s walking off stage. Beautiful!

Bravo!!

Superb! Beautiful piece, Kenny, and it’s right in Wim’s wheelhouse. With your piece
as a vehicle, we get to hear a side of Wim that we don’t otherwise get to hear.
Really, really nice - both of you!

Thanks Kenny, it was my pleasure! :slight_smile:

Nice work, guys! It’s things like this that make me realize why I became a machinist instead of a professional musician.

Although I can’t really wrap my head around it technically, I sure enjoy listening.

It’s always great to hear Wim’s sax playing. :sunglasses:

You are so right, it wasn’t Wim it was me…I decided to get creative and cut and pasted a lick so it would hang over into the start of my solo. Thanks so much for noticing and I am going to put it back to way Wim played it (he played it right) with no edits so moral is “If it works don’t fix it” lol

Hi there…

Oh where to begin…

I just love the smoky sound and the almost/close to free form music that this is imo.

I truly dig it.

Production values are top top top. Same as I felt with Earlys tune that Lenny played bass on that I commented on just before writing this.

I have nothing to “drag down” it was all exellent, but I have to say I was a bit suprised by having the bass so far out of the centre of the mix. If I were the co-mixer with you on this I’d agree on everything that is there but I would have asked: “please get the bass closer to the middle to maintain the balance of the mix”

But even doing that would be “wrong” in a way because it is so frog jumping good…

Hrm in 3 minds here

All the best, Kim

Another thing:
How can I say this…
Beautiful sounding but almost too much in your face when it comes to RMS for this genre.
Brave desicion.
Mixing it this loud while still keeping all the nuances can not have been easy.

Hmm I used to think I was very good at mixing.
I have enveloped myself in that belief for far too long.
Because after listening to you now and Early21 earlier I see that I have a way to go.
But that is a good thing.

Thank you both for sharing.

Kim :slight_smile:

Oh yes - smoky, blue, and beautifully light. Great playing by you both. Made me want to pour bourbon over ice but it’s only 2:15 in the afternoon so I’ll listen again later!

Steve.

+1 but I personally wouldn’t let the 2:15 in the afternoon thing get in the way :wink:

Great job all round! :sunglasses:

Ha!

I decided to wait - enjoying it now (the drink and the music)

Steve

Kenny, I just listened to this. Man this is really nice. I don’t know enough about mixing to comment on that as I just dug the song and playing.

Felix,
Thanks so much for noticing…I don’t really use panning in Cubase as I use a program called Vienna Mir which places instruments on a stage here is a link you may enjoy watching http://www.viennamir.com/

Kim,
Thanks!
I mixed in Cubase 7 and used the Maximizer and also UAD Precision Limiter. I didn’t really mix it to be loud its more the inflater/limiter doing this, I might have made to loud not sure but hopefully I was able to keep it going from soft to loud so it doesn’t sound to fake…let me know, oh didn’t use compression on master channel or piano did use on Sax/Drums/Bass but not much.

Haha Voldka for me even if it doesn’t fit

Man thanks so much! It’s a good thing if the mix doesn’t mess up the playing :slight_smile:love all your tracks I’ve heard 2

Great playing by Wim on this piece. In addition to my original comment; the ending runs sounded great from both Wim and yourself. The main melody is actually playing back in my head after the track has stopped. Good going :smiley:

Thanks everyone! :sunglasses: