Simulating busses in Cubasis 3.3

The goal: use the Billy Decker method of controlling wet/dry effect mix on a group of tracks such as instruments using the fader. Also facilitate easy control via fader over parallel compression.

One workaround: Duplicate a track once for each buss (eg Reverb, Delay) and send to the corresponding group, where the effect is an insert or a send.

I’m assuming that will drive up DSP usage if there are lots of inserts on each duplicated track. I tried this method to control parallel compression on my stereo drum machine track, and it worked very well.

I found an Auv3 called ApeMatrix which sounds like it can create a buss. I asked the developer if it can be used this way.

It seems Visual Mixer can do this. Anyone tried it?

Any other ideas Cubasis’ers?

Thanks,
Dov

When you buy apeMatrix you get an AU called Mixer Send Receive which lets you bus audio between tracks strictly within the same host (in this case, Cubasis). You put one instance in the sending track on one on the track you want to receive on.

That’s the theory anyway but I did a quick test in Cubasis and could not get it working with an instance of the app as an insert effect on the sending side and an instance in an effect slot of a receiving audio track.

It worked! Busses in Cubasis!!!

Here’s how I tested:

1. Load 2 instances of MixerSendReceive as Sends in a piano track, one pointing to “A” and another to “B”
  2. Load 1 instance of MixerSendReceive as a Send in an organ track pointing to “A”
  3. Create a group “I Verb” with no source tracks. Route the output to 1/2 as usual. Load an instance of MixerSendReceive as an Insert pointing to “A”. Add an Insert - FabFilter Pro-R for reverb pre-fader.
  4. Create a group “I Delay” with no source tracks. Route the output to 1/2 as usual. Load an instance of MixerSendReceive as an Insert pointing to “B”. Add an Insert - FabFilter Timeless for delay pre-fader.
  5. Play my recording, raising and lowering the faders on groups “I Verb” and “I Delay”. Hear reverb on the piano and organ, delay only on the piano, when the respective fader is up.

There is no need to load any other application (such as an IAP) to make this work. Apparently MixerSendReceive is designed to act as a buss within a single IOS audio host.

The only challenge is that the source track still goes to the master output. If you turn down the fader or mute the source track, MixerSendReceive doesn’t get any signal (remember, it’s a send, and this is post-fader). This isn’t a huge issue if you plan well.

I checked DSP usage, and saw no change from before I implemented this.

OMG I have busses in Cubasis!!!

Bravo! Saluto i programmatori italiani ApeSoft per averci dato dei veri bus in Cubasis!

Thank you misplaced for encouraging me!

Dov

Cool, glad you got it working, and thanks back for documenting how!