Single hairpin over multiple dynamics

How do I get the following notation to show a single hairpin from mp to f, with mf in between?

dynamics

I’ve seen this done in one of the sample scores, where I undid it by ungrouping the dynamics, and redid it by regrouping them, but I can’t get it to work, here. Grouping the dynamics has no effect on the notation.

There’s an Engraving Option for this under Dynamics (Appearance of hairpins before and after a text dynamic). See below. You can also do this on a situational basis in the Properties Panel in Engrave Mode (‘Hairpin shown as continuation’). In any case, the dynamics have to be grouped.

There’s an Engraving Option for this under Dynamics (Appearance of hairpins before and after a text dynamic). See below. You can also do this on a situational basis in the Properties Panel in Engrave Mode (‘Hairpin shown as continuation’). In any case, the dynamics have to be grouped.

Having grouped the dynamics (all five), and having set the option in Engraving Options, and having checked the “Hairpin shown as continuation” box, nothing has changed. Neither in Engrave mode, nor Write mode. :neutral_face: (In the video, my right-click menu doesn’t show when I group the dynamics, but you can tell that they’re grouped afterward when I select one and the others highlight blue.)

< SHRUG > Ah, well.

I think the problem is that the first hairpin goes all the way up to the next bar. It should only go up to the mf. Try deleting it and inputting just for the first 2 beats, then grouping again.

1 Like

Or perhaps the opposite. I think it works with one lone hairpin if you add the mf afterwards with the above settings in Engrave mode.

Jesper

I’ve just tried that method and, unfortunately, unless I’m doing something wrong, it doesn’t work. I’ve just confirmed that my aforementioned method does indeed work.

No, sorry, just tried myself. I think it used to work like that.
I know I tried it a long time ago. Maybe a bug.

Jesper

Thanks, Lucas. That was indeed the problem.

I’d call this a bug, though. In fact, if I lay down two text dynamics with a hairpin between them, and then I introduce an intermediate text dynamic, I would intuit the intermediate dynamic overlaying the hairpin.