Single line percussion staves

The “green field” is a percussion kit. You should be able to edit the percussion kit from the menu. It will show all of the instruments associated with the kit. You can removed instruments from the kit, add more, etc. You should find that you are able to remove the instruments into it’s own “instrument” (not part of the kit).

You will find the percussion aspect of Dorico is very powerful. A lot to unpack here.

Robby

1 Like

Hi Robby,
I was that far already, but what looks a bit surprising to me is the fact that to have one instrument, you have to delete a lot of unwanted instruments. Wouldn’t it be more user friendly to just insert thenevessary instrument(s)? From your previous pics, I can see that that is possible by creating a new (solo) instrument. But in my case, I imported an xml from Notion, so I didn’t have any choice here… I got an entire arsenal of percussion instruments per instrument, which means a lot of deleting.
But I thought of another solution, simple and direct: adding another (e.g.) Bass Drum, copying and pasting the content of the existing one into it and finally deleting the first one.
Could that be a decent solution in my case?

Can you see the little icons on the left down side of Rob’s picture ? Right above Export Kit… button? There’s a can with an arrow that goes into it. It means you can pick an instrument that already exists and put it in the kit. No deleting, no copying, simply making sure everything is where it should be. Do you think you could use that?
Dorico is certainly not responsible for other software exporting useless instruments. But I somehow doubt that is even the case. There must be a reason why you end up with all these instruments.
Have you considered MIDI import instead of xml ? Since version 4, the MIDI import in Dorico has grown tremendously and you can drive many different instances of a same instrument with different techniques automatically into one instrument… So there are still options to investigate :wink:

You can remove just the instruments that you’re using (i.e. the ones with notes) from the kit, so they’re separate, and then delete the whole kit (now containing only unused instruments) in one go.

Both Marc and Lillie and jumped in here. But yes, copying and pasting is certainly a very viable option.

And as Lillie mentioned, you can remove the one or two instruments from the kit, adding them to player as not part of the kit, then deleting the kit once you have done that.

Robby

Thanks Marc.
I’ve solved the issue, but I will consider your suggestion as well.
And maybe next time, I’ll use midi export/import and in a further future maybe I’ll write my scores directly in Dorico. That would be the most comfortable procedure.
I merely keep using Notion because if its direct import and connection with Studio One.
Best,
Jos

1 Like

Thanks Lillie, issue solved.