Single-note tremolos on tied notes

When I have a quaver tied to any note of greater length, upon entering /// into the popover I find that the quaver shows a three stroke tremolo but the longer note shows a four stroke tremolo.

If I un-tie the notes, the longer note now displays the three stroke tremolo. And then if I re-tie the notes then the three stroke tie is now retained on the longer note as well.

If I tie a crotchet to a note of smaller duration, the opposite happens.

Is this behaviour intended?

I believe this happens because it assumes the tremolo to be measured.
Thus three slashes on a quaver will give 8 64th notes (1 flag + 3 slashes) and the longer note will need an extra slash to match the same rhythm (0 flat + 4 slashes).
This makes perfect sense to me, and I’ve both used and seen using it widely around.
There are publishers who state that for unmeasured tremolo 3 slashes are enough, and that all notes need to have the same amount of slashes. I’m not sure Dorico can do this easily without hacking a slur into a tie.

I understand the logic but my point is that if you un-tie and then re-tie the notes, the three stroke tremolo goes to all notes.

1 Like

When you un-tie and re-tie the notes, Dorico’s doing a different operation, and it’s explicitly copying the value for the Single stem tremolo property to all of the rhythmic offsets in the newly-tied note, which is not what it does when you apply the tremolo via the popover in the first place – in that case, Dorico doesn’t set an explicit tremolo value at each offset where a notehead appears. Both behaviours are useful, but it’s definitely a subtle distinction. The basic intent is that if you have a bunch of untied notes that each have tremolos and you tie them together, the number of strokes shouldn’t change when the notes become tied.

1 Like