"Sizing applies time stretch" not working in the key editor

The “sizing applies time stretch” pointer in the key editor behaves just like the regular pointer and doesn’t timestretch anything.

1 Like

Hi,

It’s like this since ever in Cubase. Actually, I have never understood, what should the Sizing Apply Time Stretch do in the Key Editor. If you want to speed the MIDI Notes up or down, use the Sizing Apply Time Stretch tool in the Project Window, please.

1 Like

Well, it should work as timestreching in the project window, so it wouldn’t be required to use time stretching in the project window.

Why, Steinberg? Why? This is so frustrating… I would love to make use of this function all the time in the piano tool. Yet, the option is there but it does not work ;(

1 Like

Our old friend @vic_france (RIP) understood what it does! (and it doesn’t really do very much)

2 Likes

It doesn’t make sense in my opinion.
This tool stretches a content proportionally to its container when you resize the latter. In the project window context the content of MIDI parts is note(s), and in the Key Editor the containers are the notes and their content is Note Expression(s)

I didn’t even know this last point. Vic, if you hear us: thank you!

1 Like

Hi,

Sorry, In not with my Cubase right now…

Can you seemed and stretch selected MIDI CC curves by using the tool in the Key Editor?

Here is the tool in action:

Timestrecthing_tool

4 Likes

Hi,

Sorry, I was totally wrong with the Controller Lane. The Object Selection Tool is not applied in the Controller Lane at all. So to answer this question… No, the curve doesn’t stretch.

Hi,

Thank you for this.

Just for clarification, if you use the “Normal Sizing” tool, only the MIDI Note becomes extended or shorten. The Note Expression data in it remains/is not stretched in that case.

1 Like

I bought Cubase Pro 12 about a month ago when the crossgrade was on sale for less than $300. I was a Logic Pro X user, not totally fed up with it, but not totally happy either. And I bought Cubase Pro 12 because I thought it was about $600, so when I came across that promotion, I couldn’t pass getting the DAW Hans Zimmer has used for the last 25 years.

And I fell in love with it, because it has a lot of things that are very useful even for a guy like me who’s been learning this stuff for less than a year. I don’t understand those reviews that say it has a steep learning curve because I figured out things pretty fast, of course, having learned another DAW before.

And even on my Mac Studio it’s super stable, far more than Logic Pro X, which is made by the same company that makes the hardware, so you would think it’s rock solid, but it has crashed close to 100 times on me. Cubase only crashed when I tried to load a very old Ashton Gleckman project in Rosetta 2 mode, and I can’t really blame Cubase for that, since it was something that happened every single time when loading a track with Kontakt 5. Other than that, it’s rock solid, even when loading other Ashton Gleckman projects in Rosetta 2, in fact I worked on his Dark Knight recreation for days without a single crash, even if the project has a lot of Kontakt 5 instances, other plugins that I don’t have and is about 5 years old.

But the thing I don’t get is this, the stretch resize pointer in the key editor that doesn’t do the same thing it does in the project area. That’s one thing I miss from Logic Pro X, in which you press CTRL+T , then in the piano roll/key editor select a range of notes, and it presents you with a handle on each side of the selection that you move either way and it scales perfectly to what you need.

While in Cubase you can do that by chopping up the region/section/part or whatever is called in Cubase and then use the stretch tool for that, it’s a messy way of doing something really simple.

Of course that’s not a deal breaker for me, but it’s something I think most people would welcome.

4 Likes

There are so many little tweaks that could greatly improve the workflow in Cubase in that domain… this is one of them that frequently stresses me out because it is just terribly inefficient. but I guess these little things do unfortunately not get people to spend their money… hence we see all this other “fun” stuff but the editor stays where is was ages ago.

We just need to push Steinberg to incorporate this in C14. I mentioned it in the survey they sent by email a few days ago. I’m really surprised it doesn’t have it, because I got started in MIDI programming in Logic, and when I bought the crossgrade to Cubase Pro 12 I saw so many tools that made MIDI editing a breeze in comparison. But this very necessary feature was missing.

We also need to push for a lasso selection tool. Those runs are a pain in the ass to select. if you have them on two or more octaves.

Just imagine you could use the new Range tool in the Key Editor for that. Draw a range, then have a handle at the right side somewhere that would allow to time stretch or compress the range.

In that case “Stretch Note Expression with Time Stretch” needs to become a switchable option (instead of a tool).

Using a range instead of a selection allows to have pauses at the beginning and/or end.

I know this post is two years old but I feel the above reflects the typical perspective of Steinberg very well.
51139961cff285c0d5e6442da69e58f4

Often thought from a technical point of view, not from “what do the users want” point of view.

It may be better to relabel this topic with the feature-request tag, from the point of view where the tool is working “as designed” but should be working differently.

1 Like

In the meantime, I made macros that can easily stretch selected notes using hotkeys.

Default hotkeys are Ctrl+Alt+1 … Ctrl+Alt+0, but of course you can easily set your own as well as your own coefficients.
Also, keep in mind that it uses Marker#9, but it is possible to change it to use locators instead.
NoteScaleMacros.zip (18,9 КБ)

To install it:

1. Put Note Scale Macros.xml inside
    C:\Users\username\AppData\Roaming\Steinberg\Cubase 13_64\Presets\KeyCommands
  2. Put Note Scale folder inside
    C:\Users\username\Documents\Steinberg\Cubase\User Presets\Logical Edit\
  3. Run Cubase/Nuendo, go to Edit->Key Commands and load the Note Scale Macros preset. New macros should appear in the Macros list, set your hotkeys there and test it.

To me it’s very convenient, I almost don’t need the scale handles at all.