Slash and normal notes on the same stave

How do I mix slash rhythm parts and ‘normal’ notes on the same stave?
I am doing a guitar part and it is mostly rhythm so Im using the slashes however there are certain parts in the sont where I need the guitarist to play some notation - but it seems I can only have slash or normal notes - I cant find how to use both

You should be able to start and end a slash region where you like, even mid-bar.

Yes I know but how? If I select a bar then select normal notes the whole stave changes to normal notes and vice-versa
Is there any way it can be done -

Andy, it sounds like you’re using slash voices for everything, which is fine, but you need to know the difference between adding a new voice and changing the voice used by existing notes.

To add a slash region, make a selection (e.g. of a bar rest of regular rest), choose Write > Create Slash Region, or type Shift+R and then type “slash” into the popover and hit Return. You’ll now get a slash region with handles at either end that you can drag left or right to extend the region.

I don’t know if this is the same situation Andy described. Like Andy, I have a guitar part that will have some slashes and some real notes. However, in my case, I want to use rhythmic slashes. I put in all the notes. Then I select the ones to be displayed rhythmically and to Voices → Rhythmic Slashes → Slashes with stems. That works OK for measures 1-4. Measures 5-8 show the notes as desired. Then resuming with bar 9, I want rhythmic slashes.

That’s where the problem happens. When I do Voices → Rhythmic Slashes → Slashes with stems on bars 9-17, it applies the rhythmic slashes ALSO to 5-8. I cannot get regular notes on 5-8. I have tried various options of ending the voice etc with no luck.

And then after that problem, measure 8 has lost its rests.

I would recommend also checking out the latest “Discover Dorico” which I believe covers this (and also has “chapter links” to boot – a welcome new feature!)

• D.D.

Craig, try cutting the music in bars 9-17, then pasting it back in using Edit > Paste Special > Paste Into Voice > New Slashed Up-stem Voice (or whichever stem direction you’re after).

Hello,

Sorry if this has been already answered. Is there a way not to have to delete the rests after making a slash region?

Thank you.

Not in that circumstance, no, because the slash region doesn’t occupy the whole bar.

Thank you, Daniel

When trying this (please view the images), is that because my Bravura font is corrupted? It does not happened with Petaluma

Screen Shot 2018-06-30 at 12.29.06 AM.png
Screen Shot 2018-06-30 at 12.29.33 AM.png

This is what I copied. I am sorry I don’t know what happened to the attachments
Screen Shot 2018-06-30 at 12.27.14 AM.png
Screen Shot 2018-06-30 at 12.29.06 AM.png
Screen Shot 2018-06-30 at 12.27.14 AM.png

It certainly looks as if the version of Bravura you have installed is out of date. If you have Bravura in either /Library/Fonts or /Users/your-username/Library/Fonts, try deleting it, then restarting your Mac and then restarting Dorico.

Thank you Daniel

Can I download a new Bravura file?

You don’t need to: the current version is included in your Dorico application bundle.

Thank you, Daniel. I had a copy of Bravura installed. I deleted with the Font utility and that fixed the problem.

That fixes the missing rests, but not the underlying problem.

It appears to me that the behavior is that a voice can either be slashed or normal. And if you try to change some notes within a normal voice into rhythm slash notation, that ends up affecting adjacent measures in the same voice – but maybe not the entire flow with that voice.

It appears it may be possible to alternate normal and rhythmic slashed by using different voices. However, my first attempt at that crashed Dorico, so I am going to do some more tests.

I don’t see how this could be the intended behavior.

I guess I can handle it for this project by adding an instrument to the player: the main instrument having rhythmic slashes and the other instrument for the passages with normal notes.

Thanks. That video did confirm that the rhythmic slashing is actually intended to affect the entire voice, not just what is selected. That is not very intuitive at all. I think people will find that quite confusing.

It looks like I should be able to accomplish what I need by being careful about the assignment of voices.

The way that slash voices and regular voices interact is also documented in some detail in the Version History PDF, specifically on pages 23 following.

I made a terrible mess of my document by using Voices → Rhythmic Slashes … Nothing worked right and Docrico crash every time I tried to do anything. I eventually deleted that player altogether. I had all the material on another player that was for playback only. I added a new guitar player and limited myself to using only Voices → Change Voice → …

This nicely separates the slashed and normal bars, but Dorico is still crashing when I try to change a second selection to a rhythmic selection voice.

I don’t really see the purpose of Voices → Rhythmic Slashes, even if it worked correctly. It seems everything anybody would want to do is handled nicely by Voices → Change Voice. And that forces the user to think in terms of different voices for slashed and unslashed material.

=====

On edit, I got around the problem by giving the guitar player two instruments: a comping instrument that is entirely rhythmic slash notation and a melody instrument that has normal notation. This works fine – and in that case, I did use the Voices → Rhythmic Slashes command to set the entire comping track to rhythmic notation.