Slash voice support for muted slash noteheads

Slash voices currently do not allow changing to different slash noteheads, specifically muted slash (X) for guitar. I found a 2021 workaround suggesting using a single note in a regular voice as a workaround, but then you don’t get accurate playback. Thank you.

I’m not sure what you consider to be accurate playback – do you mean that you don’t want to hear the muted slash note you put in a regular voice? If so, you can activate the Suppress playback property, which will silence that note.

(deleted by author)

Would you be able to post an example of the sort of notation you’re after? It might be that there’s a simpler way to achieve this.

Here’s an example I found online. (I do like the larger slash mute X noteheads Dorico supports for individual notes better than the small ones shown here.)

Ah, it may be easier to put muted chord playback on a separate staff then manually hide that whole staff.

Ah, I see what you mean. Yes, I think putting the playback on a separate hidden staff may be your best option here.

OK for anyone else finding this in search, the least-work-workaround:

1. A visible staff not assigned to any output, single note rhythm with custom noteheads, plus any normal note phrases
  2. A hidden multi-voice staff for playback

So, is it all regular voice with custom noteheads, or slash voice and regular voice with different noteheads?

Single regular voice with custom noteheads, or you get beaming/rest complications.

1 Like

Got it! Thanks, debiemer!